10

I feel someone's body next to me and immediately wake up. I see Kane. He looks so handsome lying down with his exposed body next to me. I roll over, grab my cellphone, and quietly tip toe down to the hallway. I go down the stairs and into the kitchen. I boil some water with a pot and wait for it to boil.

I look through my phone and scroll on my feed. I then see three missed calls. They were all from Zac. I call him back and wait for him to respond. He does surprisingly.

"Hey, what happened?" He asks.

"Maya's back." I say.

"Maya is back?" He repeats.

"Yes."

"What do you mean?"

"Well last night she called me telling me to stop looking for her since she's fine." I smile.

I take the pot from the stove and pour the boiling water into a cup.

"And you believe it's her?"

"Yeah, I do I guess." I say slowly mixing the water with coffee grounds.

"It just seems to sketchy. That's all. Like my heart doesn't just feel at peace."

"Come over and we'll see." I say.

"Okay."

The line clicks and I walk upstairs. I open the door and walk over to Kane to see if he is up. I walk inside the room and put my coffee down along with my phone.

I sit on the edge of the bed and watch him. He turns slowly in his sleep and then all together wakes up.

He looks shocked when he sees me but then a smile forms on his lips.

"Good morning,"

"Good morning sleepy head."

I bend over to kiss his forehead but I'm suddenly interrupted mid-way and stop. A knock of the door is the culprit.

My phone vibrates as it sits on my nightstand but I ignore it. It's probably Zac texting me that he's here.

I pull on pants and a cream beige long sleeve shirt and open the door.

"I'll be right back," I say.

I rush down the stairs and open the front door. As I said, Zac was behind the door.

"Can I come in?"

"Of course,"

I step aside and let him come in. He walks inside and places himself down on the bar stool. I offer him food but he says no and thanks me.

"Anyway, so she texted you?"

"Yes. Watch let me show you."

I look around to see where my phone is but I don't see it anywhere.  I panic and then realize it's upstairs.

"I'll be right back."

I go back up the stairs. Man this is a workout. I open the door and see no one in here. I freak out. Where's Kane?

"Kane?"

He doesn't say anything. I look through my room and I don't see anything. I look at my nightstand and see a little sticky note.

Went through the window, I heard knocking on the door. I'm pretty sure it's your parents. -Kane

I nod and I grab my phone and go back down stairs.

I walk over to Zac and show him the text. But I can't find it. I search for it, through every text and I can't find anything.

"So?" He says.

"It's gone."

"Gone? Do you think she might of sent it to like–"

"–I had the text. It was right here. I swear." I scroll through my phone and nothing. Not one single message from Maya.

"Maybe you can call the phone company."

"They do send me my messages already. So maybe I would just have to wait a week or something for my next email."

"Well maybe you can text her?" Zac suggests.

I go to Maya's contact name and text her.

Maya? I type.

I told you I'm fine. She responds back quickly.

I show Zac the message. He looks at my phone and shakes his head.

"It just doesn't seem real." He says. "Here let me call her."

He calls and tells me that the phone has been disconnected.

"What?"

"Give me the number,"

I give him the number and he shakes his head. "Repeat it because I already have that number saved under Paul."

"Okay." I repeat it again.

"Are you sure–wait. Why do I have that number under Paul? Did you leave your phone somewhere at all at the beach house?"

"I'm not sure? Someone went through my phone?"

I could not just believe it.

I look at Zac as my eyes widen. I really can't believe it. Chills form all over my body and I suddenly feel scared again. No one could of grabbed my phone without me looking.

"That mother–" Zac gets his keys and heads outside. I follow right behind him.

He gets into his car, starting the engine. I ran to his side.

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to find him is what. I can't believe him."

"Oh–okay,"

I just stand there in the driveway as he drives off. I cross my arms and just watch him go by.

Is that why Kane left? He could of seen anyone go by. The window to my room shows from the front of my driveway to the side of my house. There's no way he could of mistaken Zac for my parents or anyone else for that matter.

I walked back inside the house to grab my keys. I locked all the doors of my house and walked outside to my car. I unlocked my car and jumped inside.

Now I was mad. Kane and Paul and even Jess with her fake wound was playing some kind of joke, and I for one was not going to sit around and play it.

"You will be arriving at Paul's house in thirteen minutes...turn right." The woman's voice of the gps said.