16

Zac keeps driving aimlessly down the road and I don't tell him anything. I understand that he's going something totally different as I.

I've never been confident to pull that stunt I did yesterday. It has always been Zac looking out for me or Zac just trying to do the dangerous stuff.

But, after I saw the picture of her, I wish I didn't pull that stunt. I wish I would of just shut my mouth and stayed home and cried my eyes out.

Finally, Zac stops at the very top of the hill and puts the car into park. He places his hand over the back of my head rest and leans his head back on his.

"You wanna tell me what you saw?"

"I'd rather not,"

He took a long pause then spoke. "It was her wasn't it?"

I didn't say anything.

"You know, all my years of knowing Paul or even Kane, they never seem like that type of person?" He chuckles. "I mean, they hurt one another, or other people but they never seemed the type to kill someone. And not just anyone but Maya."

"Looks can be deceiving."

"You got that right."

"So what now?" I say shuffling in my seat to face him.

"We have to find Paul."

"And then what Zac? Say, what did you do Paul? Why did you do it? Come with us, we called the police?"

"Don't do that with me. Don't you want justice for Maya?"

"I never said I didn't, I just don't want to do it that way. You know my mother is going to start questioning where I am, Zac."

"And I don't have parents?" He says searching for something in my eyes.

"Why are you being defensive? I'm just saying it's not a good idea. Plus, Danielle needs you. She was Maya's friend too."

"Screw her, Reg. What do you want me to do? You want me to stop talking to you and go over and comfort her? What about me? Like what I'm not affected by this at all. I was going to help her with the drugs. God, this is so messed up."

"Why don't we just spend the night altogether? It will be comforting and we have one another."

"I can't go to my house. They're back."

I sigh and sit back in my seat.

A vibration moves against my body and I fish out my cell phone.

Hey Jessy:

Where are you guys? Please come over. Danielle's a mess and I need you. x

I give the phone to Zac, and without a word he starts the car and drives out.

Once we reach there house Zac doesn't turn off the car. I look over at him and he signals me to go, and I do.

I get off the car and walk over to his door. "Don't do anything stupid, Zac. I'm serious."

"I won't. Okay?"

"Bye,"

"Bye."

I rush over to the front door to get out of the rain. I knock on the door and Jess opens Danielle's door.

"She's throwing things." She whispers.

"Where are her parents?"

"Out for the week."

The one week they miss is the one Danielle really needs her parents.

I walk inside the warm home and look and Danielle breathing hard on the floor.