chapter two

Jensen

     "How was close last night J?" My dad asked me as we counted the alcohol before opening for the day.

     "Same old, same old." I waved him off, counting the last of the beer bottles, "Although I had a customer come in thirty minutes before we closed, a Brit by some odd chance, and he scared the shit out of me during my jam session."

     "You and your last minute customer pet peeve." My dad chuckled at me before rolling his eyes. "You should be used to that by now, kiddo."

     "Still bothers me." I mumbled before going to unlock the doors. "What time is Reese coming in today?" I asked, my dad paying no attention to me. His eyes were focused on the TV, Thursday night football, leaving me little chance of stealing his attention.

     "I'm here, sis. Hold your horses." Reese was putting on her apron, walking through the door. She wore a pair of black leggings and a cropped band t-shirt. Her short hair was curled and face full of make up.

     "Good to see you show up on time for once." I half joked, getting an eye roll in response. I ran to the bathroom before our regulars rolled in.

     I glanced at myself in the mirror as I washed my sticky hands. Today I wore light make up, only mascara and lip gloss. My dark hair fell in waves down my back. I too wore black leggings along with an oversized sweatshirt, my usual combo despite the California heat. If I had tried a bit more like Reese, I know my tips would be better but the thought of putting in all that work just to sweat it off seemed silly to me.

     When I came out of the bathroom, sure enough Will and James sat at the bar, eyes glued to the TV along with my father. I pulled two Bud Lights from the fridge before placing them in front of the men. They both gave me a nod, continuing to watch the TV.

———————-

     The rest of the day went by like any typical Thursday. We were busy during the games, Reese serving, me bartending, and my dad making small talk with the customers and jumping on the grill when needed. Around nine, everything slowed down and the last of the customers were paying their tabs and heading out.

     "Reese I got this, go home and study for your test tomorrow." I nodded at her, noticing how tired she looked. Reese was studying to be a special education teacher and I'd be damned if this stood in the way of her dream. My dad felt the same way and I kicked him out about an hour ago.

     "You sure J?" She asked, leaning against the bar now.

     "Of course, here's your tips, get home safe and text me when you get there. There's left overs in the fridge if you want them." I handed her the cash.

     "Thanks J, I love you!" She shouted as she grabbed her keys and headed out the door.

     Once again I was left alone to my thoughts. I cleaned whatever glasses and bottles were left along the bar when I heard the door chime go off. I looked up with a smile on my face until I realized who it was. I checked my watch, noting it was only eleven now.

"Well, well, not showing up thirty minutes before we close this time?" I raised a brow at him before placing my hand on my hip.

"Very funny love." He spoke softly before slouching on the bar seat, his head resting in his hands. He seemed a lot less chipper tonight.

"What can I get you?" I asked, picking up a glass.

"Same as last night," He waved his hand, "Make it a double." He kept his head in his hands while speaking.

"Whose the grumpy one tonight?" I chuckled before setting his drink in front of him. He just nodded, draining the glass of its contents before asking for another. I poured him another before heading back to the kitchen. I made a small ice cream sundae, placing it in front of him.

"What's this for?" He asked, looking up at me for the first time tonight. I noticed his glass was once again empty.

"Ice cream always cheers me up." I shrugged, acting like my kind gesture was nothing and getting back to cleaning up.

"Thanks." He gave me a soft smile. I nodded before refilling his drink.

"Better than drinking yourself to death." I stated, watching him take a bite. My phone went off just then, my dad checking in on me as usual. I told him it was dead other than the Brit from the night before. He sent me an OK before I put my phone back in my pocket.

"What time do you guys close." He asked lightly, swirling his drink around with his pinky.

"Two, you got like three more hours. It's pretty dead around here after ten on Thursdays during football season." I answered, stocking beer in the cooler.

"Okay, thanks." He stated before falling silent again. I finished up cleaning and stocking relatively quickly so I scrolled through my phone a bit, deciding to put some music on as the silence was killing me.

Harry sat at the end of the bar, the bowl of ice cream now empty but glass still full. He was writing in a worn out journal. I watched him, a look of deep concentration on his face. He pushed his hair out of his eyes many times, biting his lip as he did so. At some point he had shrugged his jacket off, revealing the ink covering his arms. I squinted a bit, trying my best to make out the words and images.

"You know, it's not polite to stare." I jumped, noticing he was looking up at me with a smirk. Shit, I'd been caught. I quickly looked away.

"You wish I was staring at you." I huffed, trying my best to play it off.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night love," He winked at me, making me roll my eyes at him, "But I gotta head out, so if I could get my ticket please."

I turned my back to him, ringing him up on the register. I handed him his bill and he looked it over, looking up at me with a confused expression.

"The sundae?" I shook my head at him.

"It's on the house. Just pay for your drinks and get out." I stated, waiting for him to pay. He set down a fifty before sliding out of the seat and putting his jacket back on.

"Change?" I asked him as he started walking out the door. He waved me off, shaking his head.

"See you tomorrow Jensen." He said his goodbyes before walking out the door. I leaned back against the counter, throwing the towel in my hand on the bar.

"Can't wait." I mumbled to myself.

/////////
I'm excited about this one guys, I think it's gunna be good!