chapter twenty six

Jensen

"J, pass me the potatoes will ya?" My dad nodded towards the large bowl of mashed potatoes in front of me which I handed to him.

Harry's interview had been short and to the point. I could tell he didn't really want to be at the studio even though he hid it very well. He answered questions accurately and occasionally joked around but he wasn't his normal charming self and every few minutes he'd glance over at me as if I would be gone every time. I understood his worry but I didn't want to come in the way of his career.

We arrived at my dads not long after and were welcomed with open arms, literally. My dad hugged me as if he would never see me again. I hated being in this state, feeling so vulnerable and everyone walking on eggshells around me. I know what happened wasn't ideal but I'm still breathing and that's really all I can ask for.

"So what'd you guys do today?" I could tell my dad wanted to ask me how I was feeling but chose a different subject which I was extremely thankful for.

"I had an interview today and then we came here. Nothing too exciting." Harry shrugged his shoulders as I shoved my mouth full of my dads homemade cheesy mashed potatoes. Steak and potatoes had become a Sunday night tradition and one I was most thankful for.

"I've seen you on the news quite a bit. Sounds like your new album is doing really well." My dad stated, taking a bite of steak.

"The fans seem to really like it and it's an album I'm very proud of." Harry and my dad fell into conversation about his music. I continued eating, Reese and I making faces at each other as they continued talking.

"Have you managed to hear this one sing?" My dad pointed the end of his spoon in my direction, making me focus back in on the conversation.

"I have actually. She was singing the first time I came into the bar. She has a lovely voice." Harry smiled at me proudly as I rolled my eyes, reliving that night.

"Maybe you could get her to sing for someone other than her family. She hates the attention on her but I think hers is a voice to hear." I shook my head at my dads words, scrambling to find my phone so that I could tell him no way in hell that was happening.

"I can try for sure but she's a stubborn one," Harry winked at me, "If she could speak, she'd be telling us both 'There's no way in hell I'm getting on a stage and singing in front of people so you can forget about that.' I bet you that's what she's got typed as well."

     He was right, those were the exact words I had typed. I narrowed my eyes at him and then my dad who was cracking up. I flipped them both off as I erased my words and locked my phone.

     "You really got this one down, Harry." My dad managed to get out after they had been doubled over in laughter. "I'm impressed."

     "She's a tricky one but I quite like her." My heart squeezed at Harry's words, making me slightly forgive him for his previous commentary. I really liked Harry too, probably too much for my own good.

********

     "I think that went well, don't you?" Harry raised a brow at me as we drove to his place. I nodded, typing in my phone. I downloaded an app when Harry and my dad were speaking about sports after dinner. This one allowed me to type and have my phone read off my words so I didn't have to hold a screen to everyone's face for as long as this lasts.

"I can tell my dad likes you a lot and you already know Reese is in love with you." My phone spoke as I smiled at Harry. He laughed, shaking his head a bit. He moved his hand to squeeze my thigh.