chapter six

Jensen

I woke up the next morning to the sun streaming through my window and a note on the side of my bed from Reese telling me she left for class and that she'd see me at the bar later. I groaned, sitting up and rubbing my tired eyes. My head and my hand both throbbing from the events of yesterday. I threw the covers off and made my way into the kitchen, popping a few pain killers in my mouth before getting ready for the day.

I threw on a black crop top, a pair of black leggings, and my black combat boots. The only hint of color on me today was the bright orange cast on my hand. I knew that I wouldn't be able to do much with my hair so I just left it down, my natural waves cascading down my shoulders. I decided on a fresh face as I brushed my teeth and headed out the door.

The California sun was relentless today, causing me to be drenched in sweat on the short walk to the bar. The door chimes as I entered, making my dad peer up from the counter. He shook his head at me, wiping his hands on the towel placed on his shoulder.

"Why don't you take the day off kiddo? Reese told me what happened last night and with your hand.." His voice trailed off at the last bit, knowing no matter how many times he told me to go that I wouldn't.

"Of course she told you. Dad, it was just a dream and I'll learn to use my right hand. I'm seriously fine." I set my keys on the bar, sliding onto the stool closest to me. He gave me a stern look before sighing.

"I know you have the nightmares weekly, and yeah they're just nightmares but what happened wasn't. I think you need to go see someone, J. I worry about you." He placed his hand on mine, his eyes full of concern.

"I'm fine, Dad, I promise." I patted his hand in reassurance, "If I go home, I won't sleep and I'll just be worrying that you'd need my help." He sighed again, knowing there was no point in arguing with me.

"You're as stubborn as your mom was, you know that?" He shook his head, giving me a smile. I gave him one in return before we both continued getting the bar set up. My dad threw on some old Pink songs on the jukebox and we jammed out together until we opened.

*********

The afternoon came and went, extremely busy as usual. Although there was no incidents today other than I struggled a bit with only one hand. I made it work though. Reese came in at about noon and my dad and I set her off about five when everything died down.

"That kid from yesterday press charges J?" One of the regulars asked me as I cleaned the few glasses at the bar. I gave him a sly smile.

"I haven't heard anything yet but I don't think it'll hold up if the police hear that he groped my sister." He laughed, raising his beer to me before taking a sip.

"You Ames girls don't take any shit, just like your momma." He winked at me before turning his attention back to the TV.

That was the second time someone had mentioned my mom today. There was a hollowness in my chest when I thought about her. I missed her a lot.

"Well, well, well, look who showed up for the fourth day in a row now?" My dad's voice shook me out of my thoughts as I turned towards him, noticing who sat at the bar now. I sighed, rolling my eyes before heading over to them.

"It's good to see you, Jerry." Harry spoke, shaking my dad's hand with a smile. I wanted to gag at the interaction. I made a quick Jack and Coke before getting back to the dishes. "It's good to see you too, Jensen."

I rolled my eyes, waving my hand in his direction. I only had a few more dishes to do.

"She's not as grouchy as she always seems to be." My dad half whispered to Harry, making sure I'd heard him. I turned to glare at him, folding my hands over my chest.

"Yes, actually I am." I stuck my tongue out at my dad, walking over to join them now. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"Once you break her outer shell, she's actually a softie. Unless you threaten the people she loves, then you're in big trouble my friend." I shook my head, my dad laughing before moving to the other end of the bar. I stood there, glaring at Harry.

"Yes, can I help you?" He asked in a sing song voice, smirking at me.

"Why are you here? There are plenty of other bars in LA with bartenders that I'm sure are a hell of a lot nicer than me." I bit my tongue, pursing my lips.

"See, now that's boring. Coming here and trying to get you to smile is quite amusing." He sat back against the seat, sipping on his drink. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah well, how's that going for you?" I raised a brow at him, staring him down. I wanted nothing more than to wipe the smirk off his face.

"So far, not good, but I have an idea. A game actually." He wiggles his brows at me before setting his drink on the bar again. I shook my head at him.

"I don't play games." He laughed at my answer, shaking his finger at me. I noticed he wore a ring on just about every one at all times, a different shade of polish on his nails though.

"I think you'll like this one. I get three guesses to guess your drink of choice and if I get it wrong, I won't come back." I bit the inside of my cheek, contemplating this.

"And what if you get it right? What's in it for you?" I narrowed my eyes at him, knowing I wasn't going to like his answer.

"You go on a date with me, just one, and if you decide you had the worst time of your life, I'll leave you be." I didn't like this. Not one bit. But if he did guess my favorite drink and we went on a date, I could act like I hated it even if I didn't and he'd still have to leave. I liked my odds.

"Fine. Three guesses, go." I leaned back against the cooler, watching him rub his hand over his chin as he squinted at me. He ran his tongue over his pink lips a few times.

"Vodka cranberry." I shook my head, holding up two fingers.

"Not a chance, Brit. Vodka is definitely not my drink of choice." I smirked at him, watching him rack his brain again for another guess.

"Crown Apple and Sprite?" He asked, unsure of himself this time. I put another finger down. He was left with one guess. I was going to win this.

"Only one more. I'd be careful now." He bit his lip, running his fingers through his hair.

"Malibu and pineapple." My face fell as I clenched my teeth together. Fuck me. I'd have to go on a date with him now. He knew he'd guessed it by my reaction.

"Fine. Whatever you win. Be here at seven tomorrow, no earlier, no later, and no funny business." I pointed a finger at him, watching his smile grow. He threw down a twenty before leaving the bar, swinging his hips dramatically as he did.

I leaned my elbows on the bar, my head in my hands. I was going to regret this.

//////////

date date date date!!!