chapter twenty eight

Jensen

     I walked through the bar doors, the shittiest grin on my face. My week off with Harry had been amazing and although I missed work, he did his best to keep me occupied. And yet, I still felt my happiest walking back into work today.

     "I'mmmm baaaccckkkk!" I announced to only my father who laughed at my announcement. I walked over to the computer, clocking myself in and instantly cranking up the jukebox. My dad and I sang along to old Kelly Clarkson and Pink songs as we got everything set up to open the doors. I took in a deep breath, leaning against the counter.

     "I'm glad to have you back kiddo. This place isn't the same without you. Everyone's been asking where you've been. I'm not really sure how Harry kept what happened out of the news, but I'm sure glad he did." He hugged me tightly before opening the doors for the day.

     Reese came running in from the back with just a minute to spare as always. She gave me a big smile before clocking in and tying her apron around her waist. She gave me a quick hug.

     "Missed you sis! You ever going to come back home? You practically live at Harry's now." She joked but I could tell that she really did miss having me at home.

     "Let's have a girls night tonight. I'll have Harry drop me back off at the apartment after I close up shop. Dad won't let me be here alone since the incident so he's coming before ya'll leave." I rolled my eyes at the fact that I was twenty four years old and not allowed to close the bar by myself but arguing with my dad over it just wasn't worth it. I'd asked Harry if he'd come hang out while I closed which he was more than happy to do.

     "Yes please! I don't have class tomorrow so we can stay up super late watching scary movies, eating junk food, and drinking wine coolers! I'll stop by the store on my way home and have everything set up." Reese bounced off, excited for our girls night and I was too.

     "Let the fun begin!" My dad shouted as he unlocked the doors. There was a small lunch crowd rolling in and I couldn't help but keep a smile on my face serving each one of them. It was good to be back.

*************

     "How's that for a welcome back?" My dad stated, out of breath from running around like a chicken with his head cut off. We all chugged down some water as we took a minute to relax after the rush.

     "I love the crazy lunch and dinner rushes. Usually we have like an hour between but today was nuts! I loved it!" My dad and Reese both shook their heads at me. I knew they'd been dealing with this madness the whole week I was gone so they were over it. Despite everything that has happened to me in this bar, I never dreaded coming to work.

     "Reese, get on home. Get things set up. I'll be home in.." I checked my watch, noticing it was midnight already, "two hours. Gives you enough time to go by the store, do homework, and get everything set up!" She narrowed her eyes at me, making me smile.

     "Maybe I didn't miss you as much as I thought." I smacked her arm lightly, acting shocked by her remark. She just laughed, "But I will get out of here but not because you told me to, because I don't want to have to be around you anymore than I have to." I went to smack her again but she moved too quickly, darting past me to clock out. She waved goodbye to Dad and I, the chime going off as she left.

     "Well maybe your sister didn't miss you but I sure did. Reese's friend Lainey is a good filler but she's no you." My dad placed his hand on my shoulder, giving me a proud smile. I thanked him as I started cleaning up. We still had a few tables lingering so I stuck to the bar as they all cleared out.

     "Alright old man, time for you to go too." He threw a dish towel at me, making me laugh as I caught it.

     "I'm not leaving until Ha-" The door chime went off, revealing none other than Harry himself. Tonight he wore black bell bottomed overalls with his personally designed white Gucci shirt beneath. He looked adorable, he always did, but I knew he'd been really proud of his Gucci design so the smile he wore with the design made it extra special.

     "I spoke too soon." My dad threw his hands in the air as Harry walked up to the bar, sitting at the stool closest to me. "Good to see you, kid." He shook Harry's hand, both of them exchanging hellos before Harry greeted me as well. "You sure you're gunna be okay closing? I don't mind doing it if you want to head home."

     "I'm good, Dad. Harry is here if I need anything. Although, I'm pretty sure if anything were to happen, I'd be the one kicking ass. I've done it about twice now?" My dad shook his head, rolling his eyes.

     "Alright, fine. Please call me if you need anything and text me when you're home. See you guys later." He waved as he walked out the door. I turned my attention back to Harry, standing on my tip toes over the bar to give him a quick kiss.

     "How was your first day back, love?" He asked, keeping his eyes on mine.

     "Good, really good. It's good to be back. This place is like my home. I really love it here." He nodded, his expression staying serious. I raised my brow at him, a little confused on his reaction.

     "That's good, I'm glad." He gave me a forced smile, knowing I could tell something was off. I narrowed my eyes at him as I continued cleaning up. He helped throw empty bottles away and clean glasses as I wiped down the bar and tables, setting them back up for tomorrow. He was silent the whole time which was not normal at all.

     "Okay, what's up? Spill it?" He looked at me confused, trying to hide the fact that something was wrong. I crossed my arms over my chest, hating playing this game.

     "What do you mean?" I sighed, getting annoyed at the whole thing. I knew Harry better than anyone. I knew when something was bothering him so the fact that he couldn't just tell me was nothing but aggravating.

     "You know that I know you better than anyone in this whole wide world. I know something is bothering you, Harry. You've been quiet ever since you stepped foot in this place. So you can either tell me or you can leave."

     He sighed, sitting down in the chair closest to him. He ran his hands through his hair before patting the seat next to him. I walked over, sitting down.

     "My mum and sister are flying in on Wednesday and want to do dinner with us." My eyebrows knitted together in confusion. This is why he was acting so strange? Was he scared to introduce me? Was he worried I wouldn't want to meet them?

     "And that's a problem because? Harry, I'd love to meet your family so if that's what you're so worried about, we have no problem here." He gave me a small smile before shaking his head. He turned so he was facing me, our knees touching, as he grabbed my hands that sat in my lap.

     "That's not really the issue. It's not that there is an issue. I knew you'd be fine meeting my family. What I'm worried about is the next thing I'm going to ask you." He gave me a half smile as his thumbs made small circles on the backs of my hands. I was still confused. I knew he wasn't proposing to me so what the hell was going on.

     "Jensen, you know I have the tour coming up. It's going to keep me busy and away from next month until November. That's a long time to be apart. It was hard for me to be away from you for that short few weeks of promoting my album in England. I don't think I could spend seven months away from you, even if I occasionally flew home to see you." My heart fell into my stomach at his words. He was going to break up with me before this tour. He was going to leave. He'd already made up his mind. I felt like my lungs were collapsing. He was going to-

     'Baby, I want you to come on tour with me."

/////////////

cliffhanger!!! i love this little filler chapter.