chapter eight

Jensen

     I woke up the next morning with an odd sense of calmness flowing through me. This was extremely unusual considering I never slept well, especially not with the nightmares. I tried not to think this was because of Harry.

     I got up, heading to my dresser to grab a set of running clothes before writing a quick note to Reese and heading out the door. I took my usual route, my mind wandering off as I ran.

     I had a good time last night on my forced date with Harry. I mean, it was forced right? He won the game so I had to follow his rules and go out with him. I didn't do it for my satisfaction. And yet, even thinking this I couldn't get that curly shithead out of my mind.

     When I got back to the apartment, I took a quick shower before throwing on my usual outfit and putting a hat over my head. Ever since I'd fractured my knuckles, I couldn't throw my hair in a bun how I liked so I'd settled for hats and a low ponytail. I put on my black Air Force Ones and headed out the door.

     I checked my phone on the walk to the bar, noticing a message from Harry, thanking me once again for going out with him. I shoved my phone in the waist band of my leggings, deciding against answering him. I entered the bar, heading to the back to help my dad put away inventory since it was Monday.

     "Hey kiddo." He said as he carried in a load of boxes. I tried to take them from him but he refused. I watched him wobble into the walk in, dropping the boxes down with a grunt.

     "Your hip is bothering you again, isn't it?" I said, dropping a load off myself. He sighed, nodding at me.

     "I go in for a shot next week so don't lecture me." He waved his hand at me as we finished putting things away.

     Monday's were our slowest day of the week so it wasn't a surprise when it was just my dad, me, and the regulars. All the men were focused on the TV, watching a rerun of the games from last night. I was going around, checking numbers and seeing what we'd need to order for next week.

     "Uh, Jensen?" My dad called from the bar, sounding a bit unsure of himself.

     "Yeah?" I peaked my head out of the kitchen, noticing the worried look on my dad's face.

     "You might want to see this." He was still giving me a strange look. I dropped my clipboard on the counter, walking over to the TV that everyone was focused on. That's when I saw it, a gasp escaping from my lips. "Isn't that your Brit?"

     "We're here with Harry Styles this morning as he performs his new single from his new album, "Adore You." I huffed at the TV before clenching my teeth together.

     "You've got to be shitting me." He was famous. He was fucking famous and he didn't mention a single word to me about it. I was angry, no I was furious and yet I couldn't steer my eyes away from the TV. The interviewer continued to ask Harry questions about a new album and his current love life.

     "He didn't tell you?" My dad asked, his eyes glued to the TV as well. I gave him a "does it look like I fucking knew" look and he shook his head. I was going to kill Harry Styles.

*******

     By the time the clock struck nine, the bar was completely empty. My dad was cleaning up a few tables that had just left and I was cleaning off the bar. The bell going off saying someone was coming in went off both my dad and I's attention turning to the door.

     "Oh boy, you are in some big trouble my friend." My dad laughed, and I watched as a confused look flashed over Harry's face. "I'll be in the back if you need me, Jensen." My dad announced, leaving me and Harry alone.