Chapter 16

It was the day of the gala, and Lauren was rushed off her feet all day, making last-minute decisions and adjustments. She was determined to make sure everything was perfect if only to deny her mother the satisfaction of criticizing Lauren's event.

She had Ally pick up hers and Camila's outfits for the gala, and had Camila's sent to Sofi's apartment. Lauren would pick her, Sofi and Maggie up on her way to Jauregui Corp. Camila had also invited Shawn, but he was going to meet them there.

At five o'clock, Lauren's car pulled up outside Sofi's apartment. Getting out of the car, she told her driver to wait and went inside. Walking up the several flights of stairs, Lauren clutched the bouquet of flowers tightly in one hand. She came to a stop outside Sofi's door and straightened the jacket of her suit before knocking.

Camila opened the door, a bright smile on her face as she took in the sight of Lauren. "Hi! I like your suit," Camila smiled, leaning in to give her a kiss.

"Hi." Camila smiled, accepting the flowers that Lauren held out for her. "Thank you, they're beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you," Lauren blurted out, blushing slightly as she stared at Camila. She did look beautiful in the dress she had picked out from the dozens of options Lauren had provided. Camila's smile wavered for a second, and she turned around, opening the door wider so Lauren could come inside.

Trailing behind her, Lauren frowned slightly. "I-is everything okay?" she asked, her voice full of concern. She said a quick hello to Sofi and Maggie, who were sat on the sofa, waiting to leave.

"Fine," Camila said, turning to give Lauren a quick smile before walking into the kitchen and putting the flowers in a vase. "I'll just be like five minutes, sorry. I had to go into work earlier so I'm running a bit behind."

"It's fine, there's no rush," Lauren reassured her, smiling at Camila. She didn't know what it was, but there was something off about Camila. She was less cheery than usual and Lauren didn't like it. Camila said she was fine though, and Lauren didn't want to push her. If there was something Camila wanted her to know, she would tell Lauren when she was ready.

---

Half an hour later, Lauren's car pulled up outside of Jauregui Corp. Her driver stepped out and opened the door for the four of them to step out. Lauren climbed out of the car to the flashing of cameras as the paparazzi outside rushed forward to snap some photos of the young CEO. Lauren raised her chin, steeling herself against the bombardment of cameras and reporters.

Turning around slightly, Lauren held her hand out for Camila and helped her out of the car. Lauren held on tightly, her face like a stone as she faced the crowd with Camila on her arm. She ignored the questions being shouted at her by the reporters and made her way to the entrance of the building.

Walking through the open doors, Lauren let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, her shoulders sagging with relief. She gave Camila, Sofi, and Maggie an apologetic smile. "Sorry about that."

"So I guess you'll be front and center tomorrow, huh?" Sofi said, giving Lauren a sympathetic look. It was no secret that Lauren hated the lack of privacy her position afforded her.

"I need a drink," Lauren mumbled, gesturing for everyone to walk towards the entrance to the main party. They wove their way through the throngs of people until they found a server holding a tray of champagne flutes. They all took a glass, and Lauren tipped hers back, draining the glass in seconds.

"Whoa, slow down there," Maggie said, taking the empty glass off Lauren and placing it on the nearest table.

"Hey, it's fine," Camila mumbled, squeezing Lauren's hand.