Chapter 53

It was midday when Lauren groaned, keeping her eyes shut together as she rolled over. She rolled on top of something squishy and Maggie gave her a shove, mumbling a few swear words at her. Sitting up, Lauren half-opened her eyes, wincing at the bright light streaming in through the window. Shifting slightly, she rubbed at her face, before noticing the state of her soggy cast, and then everything came flooding back to her.

"Oh fuck!" She swore, and Sofi and Maggie both opened their eyes, frowning up at Lauren who looked like she was about to throw up.

"Shut the fuck up, Jauregui," Maggie grumbled, grabbing a pillow and jamming it over her head.

"Oh god, my mom's going to kill me," Lauren said, giving Sofi a look of horror.

"Well, you go and deal with that, I'm going back to sleep," Maggie said, her voice slightly muffled by the pillow. "Some tips for you; try not to punch any more walls – I don't think you fist can take much more – and keep your voice down because I'm sleeping."

"Fuck you," Lauren swore, climbing over her so that she could get out of bed, and purposely falling on top of her to squash the smaller girl. She staggered out into the hallway while Maggie's muffled curses followed her, and Sofi followed at a slower pace. Lauren gingerly peeked around the end of the hallway, trying to see if her mom was around, and was met with Clara sat on one of the kitchen stools, staring straight at Lauren with raised eyebrows.

"Good morning," she said stiffly.

"Mom, I can explain," Lauren said, walking into the kitchen and giving her mom a pleading look.

"Go on then," Clara said, gesturing for Lauren to continue.

Lauren blinked in surprise. "Oh ... well, I didn't actually think you were going to let me continue. I was kind of expecting you to just be angry and yell."

"Believe me, Lauren Jauregui, I am beyond furious. I have never, never, seen such behavior from fully grown women. Honestly, Lauren, what were you thinking? You're not a child anymore – you're the CEO of a company and you should know better than that. You were raised bet-" Clara snapped.

"See that's where I don't agree with you," Lauren said, cutting her off. "You didn't raise me, mom. I was four when you adopted me, and then the nannies raised me, and then I was shipped off to boarding school. Anything you were supposed to teach me was taught by other people. I get that you're trying to act like my mom – I respect that – but don't try and tell me that you taught me better, because you didn't."

Hurt flickered across Clara's face, and she opened her mouth to retort, when Sofi flew out of the mouth of the hallway and vomited in the sink. Lauren winced, closing her eyes as she listened to Sofi throw up – her timing was just perfect. "Sorry," Sofi mumbled, giving them both an apologetic look as she wiped her mouth. "I'll just ... go."

"No, you can stay," Clara told her, giving her a look of disapproval. "I spoke to your mother. She's not very happy with you either – or Maggie. I have to say, I thought the two of you would've known better than that, working in law enforcement. I wish I could say I'm surprised that you would act this way, Lauren, but I'm not. I thought you would've grown up since high school though! God knows I had enough phone calls about you getting into trouble to last a lifetime!"

"I'm sorry, Clara. There's no excuse, we were all out of line, but the blame isn't all on Lauren," Sofi said, giving her an apologetic look.

"You're right, there is no excuse," Clara said, frowning at her daughter before she turned her attention to Sofi. "I'm not going to scold you, Sofi – I'm not your mother and that's not my place. But you ... really, Lauren. Three laws! You broke three laws! What idiotic thoughts were going through your mind?"