Chapter 64

*******

Triple update because I didn't want to be an asshole and leave you guys like that. Let them happy times come! Enjoy this one😊 

*******

"They found her."

Lauren wrenched her face out of Sinu's hands and stumbled backward, stopping just short of the steps. Her face contorted into a look of anger and she balled her hands into fists. "Is this some sick fucking joke?" Lauren hissed, feeling slightly nauseous.

"No, no, no," Sinu quickly reassured Lauren, reaching out and grabbing her by the shoulders. She smiled again, letting out a quick laugh. "They found her, Lauren. Sh-she's alive."

"No," Lauren said, shaking her head as she started to cry. "No, sh-she's not. Stop it. It's not f-fair. She's g-gone, Sinu." She was tired and wet and she didn't want to do this right now. Lauren just wanted to change into something dry and spend the rest of her life curled up in a ball as she wallowed in her misery.

"She's not. Th-they called maybe fifteen minutes ago. They've been trying all morning – n-none of us took our phones with us." Sinu said, pulling Lauren into a hug. "They're saying i-it's her. We need to go-, we have to go and confirm it."

Lauren let out a sob that was muffled by Sinu's dress. "It's her?"

"They're saying it's her," Sinu choked out, and then Lauren was hysterically laughing and crying and her emotions were all over the place. It was her. They were saying it was her. Lauren felt a feeling of hope stir inside her chest, but she was still overwhelmed with heartache that she wouldn't let herself hope too much. It could be someone else. That's why they needed them to go to her. Lauren tore herself out of Sinu's arms and walked down the porch.

"W-we have t-to go," Lauren stammered, looking around for the car. "We have to get to the airport. W-where are they taking her?"

"Your mom is coming back now, I called her when I saw you coming. They're taking her to Miami, sh-she'll be at the hospital when we get there. I-, we'll leave as soon as your mom gets back," Sinu explained. "How about you come inside and get changed?" Lauren shook her head, waving away Sinu's concerns as she spotted Sinu's car approaching the house.

"Sofi! Maggie!" Sinu called, suddenly not preoccupied with getting Lauren to change. The two girls were outside instantly, and Sofi gave Lauren a tearful smile. Maggie seemed a little more reserved with her joy, and Lauren figured that she was approaching this the same way she was. If it wasn't her, they would all be overwhelmed by fresh grief and heartache all over again. Clara didn't even turn the car off, she just slammed on the breaks and everyone crammed inside the car. They didn't even have time to put their seatbelts on before Clara had stepped on the gas.

She was talking on the phone while she drove, speeding down every street, and taking every corner alarmingly fast – and Lauren wasn't sure if it was because she was anxious to get them all to the airport or because her mom probably hadn't driven in years. Lauren caught snatches of conversation, and it sounded like Clara was on the phone to the airport, trying to ready her private jet so that they could be off as soon as possible. The nearest airport was a bit away because Palm Bay wasn't big enough to warrant its own, but Lauren was sure they'd made it there in record timing, and soon enough they were piling out of the car and rushing into the building. Sinu ran over to the counter and started frantically speaking to one of the people sitting behind it. As the others caught up, they could hear Sinu frantically begging, gesturing behind her at the other four of them while the man shrugged helplessly. After a moment, Clara sighed and stormed over to the desk, slamming her bag down on the counter and pulling out her checkbook and a pen.