Chapter 58

The next week dragged by, and then the week after, and suddenly, they found that there were only two weeks until Camila would be home. Just fourteen days and seven thousand miles separating them both. Soon enough there would be nothing between them, and Lauren was counting down every second, even as time dragged on. She couldn't help but feel a little bit bitter about the fact that time had flown by when Camila was here, and dragged while she'd been gone – but it was hard to stay upset when they were so close to being reunited.

Sat in her office, Lauren had had a productive day so far, and was watching the clock while she finished looking at the schematics and proposal for the new solar panels she was considering manufacturing as part of her clean energy technology range. Camila would be calling her any minute. After another ten minutes, Lauren set aside the file, deciding that the new design would be a good replacement for the old solar panels they'd been selling, and with a sigh, stared at her laptop screen while she waited for Camila to call. Eventually, after another five minutes of waiting, the little icon popped up, signaling that Camila was trying to video call her, and Lauren smiled widely as she accepted it.

"Hi!" Lauren said as soon as Camila's face came up on the screen. "I love you."

"I love you too," Camila beamed at her. "How's my favorite person in the entire world?"

"Yeah, Sofi is fine, I haven't spoken to her today," Lauren laughed as Camila rolled her eyes. "I'm good. Missing you, of course, but guess what."

"TWO WEEKS!" Camila yelled, and both of them dissolved into laughter.

"Oh god, I really do miss you," Lauren sighed, staring at Camila's face with longing. "I'm so sick of missing you, I wish it had been two weeks already."

"Me too, but we're so close! We're almost at the end now, can't you feel it? Don't lose hope now," Camila said, smiling excitedly.

"Never," Lauren promised. "If there's one thing I'm sure of, it's you. And of course, I can feel it. It feels strange – as if the whole city is waiting for something. Even the weather is weird. It's like the calm before the storm. You're about to come back and wreak havoc here."

Camila laughed, rolling her eyes at Lauren. "Please – if it's still intact after you and my sisters were let loose on it, I think it's safe to say that I won't be the one to bring Miami to its knees. Besides, I'm the only one with common sense, according to your mom."

"I don't know, you're the one who enlisted in the fucking army," Lauren said, raising her eyebrows as she looked at Camila with amusement.

"And I didn't regret it for a second, until I met you," Camila said, wrinkling her nose at Lauren. "Okay, well that's not entirely true, but you get what I'm trying to say."

"That you love me and you can't believe you've had to spend even a second away from me and all my brilliance?" Lauren asked, smirking as she arched an eyebrow.

"Exactly!" Camila laughed.

"So, how was your day?" Lauren asked with interest.

"The usual. More training, yet again. I can't wait for that to be over," Camila grumbled. "No patrol today though, because I have another night recce patrol tonight."

"Another one?" Lauren said, frowning unhappily. "You've been doing more and more of them."

"I know, but someone has to. Besides, they're one of the safest patrols to go on if you think about it," Camila told her with an encouraging smile.