Chapter 39

Lauren opened her eyes to sunlight streaming in through the curtains. It fell across Camila's sleeping form beside her, and Lauren blinked in surprise. This was the first time in five days that Camila hadn't woken them up early from one of her dreams. With a small smile, Lauren propped her head upon her hand and watched Camila sleep, her chest rising and falling steadily as she breathed slowly. As Lauren watched her sleep, she listened to the muffled sounds of voices downstairs, signaling that everyone else was already up, and she wasn't surprised considering that the sun was already up.

            It wasn't long before Camila started stirring, and her eyelids fluttered open to reveal her brown eyes. They crinkled at the corners as she smiled at Lauren, stretching as she sat up. "Morning," she yawned, scrunching her face up as she scooted closer to Lauren.

            "You didn't have any nightmares," Lauren pointed out, cupping Camila's face and slowly kissing her.

            "Mm, I didn't," Camila mumbled against her lips, brushing the hair off of Lauren's shoulder and trailing kisses along her jaw and down her neck. "I guess thing's are settling down again."

            "But I still think you should think about what I said the other day," Lauren quietly told her, pushing Camila back slightly so she could look at her face.

            "I will," Camila promised her, wrinkling her nose before smiling and leaning in for another kiss. Lauren obliging placed another one on her lips as she smiled, before Camila resumed kissing Lauren's neck. Lauren squirmed at the ticklish feeling of Camila's lips on her neck, and she laughed as Camila brought her hands up to Lauren's ribs and tickled her.

            "Stop, that tickles!" Lauren laughed, arms and legs flailing widely as she wriggled beneath Camila's touch. Camila's own laughter was cut off by a breathless gasp as Lauren accidentally kneed her in the stomach, winding her.

            "Shit!" Lauren cursed, staring at Camila as she clapped a hand to her mouth. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hit you. Are you okay?"

            "It's fine, just winded. I'm going to get you back," Camila said breathlessly, smiling as she lunged for Lauren, who squealed and scrambled off the bed. Her foot got stuck in the bedsheets as she tried to escape Camila, and Lauren half fell out of the bed, catching her head on the corner of the dresser as she tripped with a loud bang.

            "Fuck!" Lauren muttered, gingerly touching her head and bringing her hand away with blood staining her fingers. "Oh great, do you have any tissues?"

            "Oh god, are you okay? Let me see," Camila said, frantically scrambling out of bed and crouching down next to Lauren. She gently pried Lauren's hand off her head and winced at the blood that was welling up. "Oh no, it looks deep, I think you might night stitches. I'll go and get my mom."

Lauren climbed to her feet, rolling her eyes at Camila as she took her by the hand. "It's fine, it'll probably stop in a minute. Come on, let's go and get some breakfast."

            "Lauren, you have blood dripping down your face, I don't think it's fine," Camila told her with a look that was a mixture of disapproval and concern. They walked downstairs and Lauren assured Camila she was fine while Camila nervously looked at the blood slowly dripping down the side of Lauren's face.

            "What were you two doing up there, causing all that noise?" Maggie asked when they appeared in the doorway, raising her eyebrows as she smirked.

            "Oh, you know, just having some fun," Lauren said with a shrug as she walked into the kitchen.

            "Mom, can you get your first aid kit," Camila asked, and Sinu turned around from the stove to see what was wrong. She frowned at the sight of Lauren's face and quickly turned the stove off before hurrying over. Gently, she guided Lauren down into a chair and quickly moved Lauren's hand away from her head, taking in the cut just on her hairline.