Chapter 25

Kai's POV

Lukas and I are lying in bed, enjoying each other's company. My hand is in his dark hair, playing with it. I've found out that he enjoys it when I mess with his hair. Dragging my fingers across his scalp slowly, Lukas groans.

I let out a chuckle, amused that he is enjoying this so much. Lukas laughs along with me, my laugh being contagious. His laugh is music to my ears, the sound of pure joy igniting a fire inside of me. I nuzzle my head into his neck, whispering, "I love you."

He says just as softly, "I love you too, loser."

We just lay there for at least an hour, but I get nervous when I feel Lukas tense under me. Looking to his face, I see his eyes glazed over. When his eyes focus back on me, I ask, "What's wrong?"

"Rogues and hunters are invading." With that, I stand up quickly and put on my clothes. Lukas does the same, moving quickly.

Lukas brings me down the stairs, practically dragging me. We arrive at the safe room but are met with the head rogue and hunter standing in front of it.

"Lovely to see you again," the male rogue says with a smirk.

Lukas looks to me quickly, pushing me behind him. "Stay behind me." Doing what he says even though I could protect myself, I stand behind his large body.

"Have any last words, Alpha Lukas," the hunter girl says mockingly, trying to get a rise out of my mate. It works, causing him to shift into his dark brown wolf that has black streaks. He stands in front of me protectively, guarding me with his life.

The rogue also shifts, his wolf a dusty brown. The rogue lunges at Lukas, him meeting the rogue midair. They collide and soon fight aggressively.

Looking to the hunter, I realize that she is pointing a gun at me. Running at her, I shift as I jump, landing on top of her roughly. Growling in her face, I mentally question why she didn't take the shot while I was shifting.

I soon realize the reason she didn't shoot me. I feel a sharp prick in my skin through my fur, and I notice something being injected into my bloodstream. I become weak, stumbling away from the hunter while trying to stay standing.

The hunter smirks at me evilly, giving me a sarcastic wave. Falling to the ground, I see Lukas winning but still in an intense quarrel with the rogue, dark brown and dusty brown clashing amid claws and canines.

My vision gets spotty, the edges of my sight fading away until I can't see any longer.

Body shutting down, I hear one last pain-filled howl before blacking out completely.