Chapter 26

Kai's POV

I wake up to blurry surroundings, my eyes out of focus. Blinking to get them cleared, I am finally able to see. The walls are light gray, seeming to be cement. I'm sitting on the floor, chained by my neck. Wincing when I realize this, I notice the silver chain is coated in wolf's bane.

Still in my wolf form, I don't shift back knowing I would be naked. I don't want them to see me like that.

The door to the room creaks open, making an eerie sound that sends a chill to my bones. Expecting the worst, I close my eyes and pray to the Moon Goddess. Praying to her that I will be okay, I reopen my eyes to be faced with the rogue and hunter that took me.

The female hunter smirks at me, asking, "Oh, is that collar uncomfortable? I deeply apologize, we just want you to be in extreme pain." Feeling the wolf's bane seep down to my skin, I let out a loud howl, hoping someone will hear me.

The rogue kicks me. "Shut up, you big cry baby."

Rolling my eyes at the insult, I lay limp as the rogue and hunter both continue to kick me. Taking the beating I try to think about better times.

I think about Lukas and I's mating. How perfect it was. It felt like I was complete in every sense of the word. The love and passion expressed meant so much to me, me having not felt love in so long.

Thinking about Lukas' nickname for me. 'Loser.' It's unusual, but it makes me smile every time I hear it. It came from the date we went on, me losing a game of bowling. Calling me 'loser' is an act of endearment, making my heart flutter just thinking about it.

Last of all, I think about my parents. How great they were until they knew I was mated to Lukas. My mom accepted me, helped me keep the secret from my dad. In the end, she sided with my father, leaving me without a parent. Luckily, Lukas' parents welcomed me into their life with open arms, accepting me for who I am and giving me the support I needed.

Snapping back into reality, I continue to feel the hard, relentless kicks they are throwing at me. It feels like it will never end, my ribs having an excruciating pain radiating throughout my body.

I try to mind link Lukas, but I can't feel my wolf. It must be the wolf's bane they injected me with. Feeling helpless, like this will never end, it takes one powerful kick to my face to knock me out.

Lukas' POV

Those bastards kept Kai close enough so I can feel his pain. I feel every kick, my ribs on fire. Soon it ends, making me even more worried for Kai. What are they going to do to him next? I assume he has passed out; they can do anything to him now and I can't protect him.

The rogues and hunters kept our warriors busy while everyone else rushed to the safe room. The rest of our people made it, but somehow, we weren't so lucky.

I'm out in the woods, using my connection to Kai. The bond is pulling me towards him. They wanted to mess with me by keeping him close so I could feel his pain, yet it is the one thing that will let me locate him. If he was any farther away, I wouldn't be able to track him like this.

My warriors and trackers are with me, helping me try to track his scent. I rely on the mate pull, while they are using their senses to find him.

This may take a while, but I will find him.