You are interrogated about Felix. You're not giving him up without a fight.

Meanwhile, Felix needs a hug too (he gets one).

-

A few hours have passed since you and Felix met with Escell in the castle, and you've been shown to your quarters for the evening. Like all that you've come to associate with Escell's hospitality, your room is lavish, cold and intimidating; the walls a dark stone, the furniture wrought from elaborately carved wood and the tapestries heavy and cloying.

You tuck your hands beneath your arms, then pace around the mantelpiece. You'd barely set foot in the castle before Felix was accosted with summons after summons from every noble in the district, and, while you can't help wishing you could be of more help, you don't exactly envy him either. One afternoon under Escell's inscrutable stare was unsettling enough, and as much as Felix tried to hide it, you suspect he walked out of that meeting more hurt than he let on.

You stop your pacing next to your satchel, slowly tugging the strap over your shoulders as an idea comes to mind. The satchel is heavy- no doubt from the armfuls of magical texts that Felix spontaneously foisted upon you- but the weight feels strangely comforting as you retrace your steps toward the castle gates. At some point in between Felix's explanation of noble greeting customs and his grave muttering about why he would not be attending any welcome feasts from here to the seven hills, you recall him mentioning the Porriman night market, where one could purchase anything from local street food to a fare across the dark sea.

You venture beyond the gates, following the colorful lights and enticing scents toward the heart of the city. You're so busy planning your surprise that you fail to notice two shadows following you through the winding alleyways. The surprise itself won't be anything too fancy, you just figure by the time Felix has been wrung through his evening of forced pleasantries and thinly veiled insults, he might feel a little better to be able to share some hot food with you, especially if it's something he likes. Anisa once told you that she, Sage and Felix used to buy sweet pancakes from the market while they squired together, Sage continually interjecting with stories about which recipes cure a hangover and so forth, and Felix doing a terrible job of pretending he didn't recall nor care for any such times at all.

You smile as the conversation plays out in your memory, finally catching sight of the first cluster of stalls up ahead. It's then that your heartbeat quickens, and you feel that same prickling dread that haunted you throughout your meeting with Escell. A rough pair of hands suddenly grips your elbows, and before you have time to process what's happening, your arms have been restrained. A voice, harsh and whispered, is asking you why you're really here, why you're accompanying Felix, and how much you really know of the mystery necromancer who's supposedly raising hell in Porrima.

"Get off!" you hiss, terrified and furious, but as you struggle the hold on you only tightens. A second voice repeats the questions, but this time the words sound different, lower and more purposeful, and you nearly find yourself compelled to answer.

They're using magic on me, you realise, panic welling in your chest as you grit your teeth to resist. As far as the recent events in Porrima, you truly know nothing, but if you speak you may very well blurt out where you're really from. Your flingers grasp at empty air as you desperately try to twist free, tears stinging your eyes as you think of how badly this has suddenly all turned. Only a few hours ago you and Felix were breathlessly laughing over Felix accidentally setting fire to the royal tulip patch. Now, you're completely alone, you have no doubt this interrogation was on Escell's orders, and there'll be no Felix coming to your rescue, you didn't even leave a note in his room to say where you've gone.

"Nothing to say to us?" one of the mages coos, pulling your arms further back until you start to feel pain. The urge to answer sweeps over you again, you can feel yourself taking a breath, ready to reveal everything you know about Felix and how he summoned you into this world.