You need to team up with Rime to save Felix

[ or, you see how much this necromancer loves you (and you love him just as much). This fic continues directly on from your confrontation with Rime <3 ]

tw: mentions of fantasy-injuries

-

The room crackles with a dark, unfettered energy as Rime presses the blade against your throat, his face wrought into an expression of triumphant disgust. His opposite hand winds gently into the front of your tunic, his grip deceptively casual, all the while his magic wraps around your limbs and forces you to be still.

Rime? This is Rime?  Your eyes wildly search the room, you're clinging to the hope that Felix resurfaced safely in his own body. Your greatest wish is suddenly that Felix never has to see what his former captain has become.

Rime's eyes sparkle with a fierce, manic energy, his lips curling into an exultant smile as the edge of the dagger licks your skin. You claw your fingers uselessly at your sides, stretching for your magic, your unfamiliar ally in this world. But all you can feel is a weak, sputtering echo, the flicker of a candle in a while-hot blaze.

I didn't drag myself through a dozen hells... Rime's words swim through your consciousness, raw loathing twisting into unfathomable hurt. He's staring at you with a sort of hateful reverence, savouring this moment where he'll finally reclaim his hope.

If Rime died five years ago, had he suffered in relentless agony ever since? From what little you know, Rime was someone your friends looked up to, someone they'd turn to if things went wrong...

As if by proximity he can sense your thoughts, Rime's delicate features distort into a vicious leer as he draws you close to him, your feet nearly lifted from the ground as you can make out every smooth, dappled freckle across his cheeks. He looks both serene and terrifying.

"Wasn't it I who once warned you..." Rime says softly, almost liltingly, while his gaze sears unblinking into your eyes. "That the unseen knife slices deepest?"

You make a desperate, strangled sound as Rime leans in, his eyes wide and wet above his lower lashes. His lips carefully part as he exhales, an unspoken question of why his relic was called to you, his features shadowing as his breath skips across your cheek.

And then, as if he's seen something you'll never possibly understand, Rime releases you, a bright, anguished joy in his smile and his blade singing in a wide arc through the air. His venom ignites something unbidden in you and you refuse to look away, expecting to feel the bite of pain.

The sensation that hits you instead feels like a crack of thunder, the air in the room seeming to split apart and mesh together at once, a deep, biting cold and a sudden black hollow at the wall. You're jerked violently backward as if swept through a storm, but Rime merely looks faintly excited, he tilts his head at the shadows spilling out from the newly-opened portal. You've never seen magic that looks so unstable. The room has darkened and you feel like you're breathing shards of ice, your whole body is shaking as Felix steps out from the undulating void.

Felix turns to you, the whole of his eyes black as ink, his jaw gritted with emotion. Your heart seizes in your chest as just for a split-second, you could almost forget that he's on your side.

And then he raises his hands, stepping in front of you to protect you with an expression that nearly rips out your heart. He looks like an incarnation of the afterworld, the unhallowed form of demons or death itself.

He looks like a highborn mage who loves you.

He looks like your best friend who needs you more than he'll ever let show.