What you (and all the others) get for Felix's bday

Oop, here's an unplanned chapter about what everyone would gift Felix upon finding out it's his birthday!! Happy birthday Felix!! :"))

-
Sage

When Sage realises it's Felix's birthday, he just shrugs and grins like it's Felix that's been caught out here. He strides straight into the local inn with the intention of buying Felix a huge tankard of ale, but then has a change of heart at the last second because he knows Felix prefers wine. Sage is the first to admit he doesn't know the first thing about wine though, so he takes a quick snoop around the bar as if he was casing the establishment for rogue criminals, trying to see what the haughtier-looking patrons are drinking. In the end it's not an incredibly fancy bar though, so Sage figures he'll just have to take his best shot. If it ends up being a terrible choice Sage will never know, Felix is so startled that Sage got him anything at all that he just stands with the bottle gripped in both hands, then recovers quite the deflecting air of thanks because he doesn't want to look at all touched.

Anisa

Anisa's hardly surprised that Felix has been able to keep his birthday under wraps for this long, it does mean she gets to make up for lost time though. Anisa gets him several second-hand books which she considers classics that he'll really love. She also manages to wrangle the four of you tickets to Porrima's notorious street-theatre, which are hard to come by since the plays are so satirical that they have to be performed outside of local regulations. Lastly Anisa gets him a hug, pinning his arms to his sides as she squeezes him tight enough to lift him clear off the ground. Felix gives a derisive snort that also sounds like he's laughing, letting himself be picked up but at the same time making every effort to be as heavy as possible. Later as you all walk to the play, he gently reaches his arm around her, quietly saying thank you for the gifts.

Escell

A vaguely threatening birthday card that Anisa tactfully intercepts and locks in a chest until weeks after the day is over.

You

It's Felix himself who accidentally lets slip to you that it's his birthday, you're definitely going to do something fun to brighten his day now that you know. You jokingly look around the study, making a 'hmmmm' noise and grinning while you let the inspiration come to you. Felix crosses his arms, then uncrosses them and tries to subtly press his knuckles to one of his cheeks, wondering if his blush is as warm as it feels. He hadn't realised that this might be something you'd at all wish to make a fuss over.

"Hold on," Felix mutters after a moment, abruptly rising and stalking out of the room. When he returns he's holding a large white paper box, which he sets down on your lap before he vanishes himself, the box and this whole foolish concept right into the void instead.

"Is this... your birthday cake?" you say in surprise, staring at a decadent black forest gateau that looks like it was made with care. You're sure this would equate to at least a week's wages for one of the streetsellers in Porrima, and your heart gives a small pang to realise Felix would go to the trouble of ordering such a thing, but not think he has anyone to share it with.

"...a stupid tradition," Felix mumbles, suddenly frowning with a certain scorn, then looking slightly ashamed. But you don't think so at all, you happily lift one of the pre-cut slices out on a napkin, a fork already in your hand.

You don't know how this is going to go, but...

Felix's eyes widen as you hold out a huge forkful of cake toward his mouth, he's shaken from his momentarily downcast mood.

"Happy birthday?" you say teasingly. Your worry eases as his lips twitch to a smirk, then he has to press his mouth tightly shut to stop himself giving a sudden, irrepressible laugh. You're still offering the cake though, your grin getting wider as he looks more and more amused.

He raises an eyebrow, as if to say, do you truly want me to-?

You nod solemnly and encouragingly, making sure to keep it together long enough to keep the fork steady, you mean for this to be sweet, not a complete mess.

Felix still looks unsure as to whether he's going to be fed the cake, or if this is a prank from your realm that he might be misreading. His expression becomes oddly moved as you carefully feed it to him, he closes his mouth and stares at you a moment as if forgetting to finish eating. Then the tips of his ears blush slightly pink, and he says thank you behind his hand, his voice only slightly less courtly than usual while he has his mouth full.

-

Later, you, Sage, Anisa and Felix return from your night out in town, you put a bunch of sparklers and candles into the cake and open-up Sage's mystery bottle of wine. You're all still in high spirits from attending the street-theatre, and while Felix is cackling and giving Sage the low-down on all the nobles the play was mocking, Anisa quietly waves you over to the chest where she hastily stowed Escell's birthday card. You hadn't noticed before, but there are a few charcoal sketches that looked to have been shoved in that corner too. In one of the sketches, you see a man who looks similar to Felix's papa- Florian, not Escell- cooking what looks like a black forest cake.

You and Anisa look at each other, then at Felix, who is wiping laugh-tears from his eyes as Sage starts doing his impression of the local noblefolk too. Gently returning the sketches to where they were, you both rejoin the others in time for Felix to extinguish his candles, his smile bright and silly and unwavering as you all stay up till dawn.