Sage accidentally injures you in a fight

[ I'm thinking of sharing some scenario/headcanon type things in this book as well <3 I hope you enjoy! ^_^ ]

tw: minor mention of blood/injury

-
Sage

You're tracking down another bounty with Sage, which of course leads you back to some of the shadier bars in town.

Incidentally, it turns out you're actually pretty good at noticing people who don't want to be seen. You've been taking the lead with reconnaissance, while Sage will always do the heavy lifting when it comes to the takedown.

You've barely set foot in the establishment when a fight breaks out at the bar. Sage has taught you some basic defensive maneuvers, but his main strategy is to keep you out of harm's way so you don't have to use them.

Unfortunately, so many patrons are yelling about someone cheating at a card game that the target is getting away in the confusion.

You're trying to pull Sage in the direction of the exit when some drunken patrons mistake you for a market-trader who apparently sold them fake 'miracle cure oil'.

Sage steps in front of you in time to block a punch that would've hit you in the chest. He won't draw a blade in such close quarters, so he quickly pulls his arm back and delivers a punch of his own. It all happens in less than a second, but from the stinging pain across your nose, you realise Sage just accidentally caught your face with his elbow as he went to hit the guy.

You both tumble out onto the street, Sage chuckling about your apparent second job moonlighting as a snake-oil salesman.

His face falls in surprise when you move your hands away from your face, your nose is bleeding badly but it's surprisingly not that painful.

'Did he get you?' Sage is genuinely confused because he was sure he blocked the punch.

He wears an embroidered handkerchief as part of his sellsword-mercenary outfit for show, but it actually turns out to be pretty useful in situations like this. Sage takes the handkerchief and holds it to your face, then gently pinches the bridge of your nose.

A moment later he realises you might've wanted to do this yourself, you're blinking at him over his hand and even though he's only trying to help, he suddenly looks like he's been caught doing something ridiculous. He squints, staring at you in embarrassment.

You reassure him by lightly placing your hand over his, keeping the cloth in place. His tail still lashes self-consciously... and you still haven't answered his question.

'Did you fall over on the way out?' Sage teases. He looks kind of adorable when he snickers like that, he still has no idea he had anything to do with it.

'Er... actually my face accidentally collided with your elbow,' you sheepishly admit, it's not that big of a deal and you figure things like this must happen all the time while bounty-hunting.

You're not quite expecting Sage's reaction, his ears firstly droop in dismay, then flatten against his hair, he grimaces and casts his eyes down.

You know he has this impression that he's dangerous to be around and he works best alone, so you want to reassure him that if he hadn't jumped in you'd be in a lot worse-shape right now.

As you talk, Sage looks up sharply to meet your gaze, his face slowly reddening. 'Hey... I should be making you feel better, not the other way around.'

'You are making me feel better,' you say softly. You can tell what you said meant a lot to him though.

Sage apologises gruffly to you, you can tell he's not used to saying things like that and doesn't exactly know what words to choose. He tells you he'll try to be more careful in a close-quarters fight, and that he's been in enough to have known better.

You tell him it's okay, and suggest you wouldn't mind him teaching you a few extra moves just in case he's the one cornered next time.

'Nope, no way, if I'm the one cornered, I want you to get out of there,' is Sage's response.

But you know you'd never leave him, and you suspect that no matter how cornered, Sage would find a way to fight through to get back to you.

...you just hope he never has to.