You break up with Felix for not telling you about Rime

[ we may have to have another chapter for the making-it-up part after this angst!! :3 but I wanted to quickly write a scene that potentially fit between Sage and Anisa telling you about Rime, and the finale scene of Felix chapter 4 ]

-

You feel strangely numb as you depart from Sage and Anisa, what they told you about Rime slowly sinking beneath your skin. You'd always known there had been a connection between Rime and Felix. You'd always known Rime wasn't with the group anymore. You'd always known Felix bringing you into this world was an accident.

So why does it suddenly feel like you never actually knew anything at all?

You stop, leaning back against the cool stone of the hallway, your trembling palms finding purchase on the walls. You're trying to calm your breathing, trying to understand why this is getting to you so much. Did you even have a right to know? Felix's past clearly still hurt him, you certainly never wanted to push him to share anything before he was ready.

But this wasn't just anything, and it wasn't something that had nothing to do with you. It hits you now, with unexpected force, that you were the unfortunate collateral of Felix's attempts to bring someone he cared for back from the dead. All the while there had been Rime, the person whose place you had taken, the person Felix had loved.

What had you been to Felix in the meantime? What had he been thinking when he'd knelt to kiss your hand not two hours earlier? Was that simply a ploy to get you to go along with his crazy plan to poison himself?

Stop, stop, you silently tell yourself. You need to regroup, to focus on finding a way to clear Felix's name, or at least to break the magical hold Escell seems to have imprisoned him with.

But even as you try to move toward the study, you find yourself questioning everything about Felix's plan. You have no idea what Felix's true motives are right now. What you'd assumed were harmless secrets now seem like spectres in the shadows, dangers growing ever more tangible the longer you stay in this world.

The real ghosts, you realised, weren't the ones Sage insisted were haunting the Anguis family home. They were the ones Felix carried with him every day since you'd arrived, and you weren't going to do their bidding any longer.

You're about to walk right back to Sage and Anisa and explain everything, when Felix filters through the wall in front of you, looking worried. You cut him off before he has a chance to tell you what he's found.

"Felix, I think you'd better return to your body," you say quietly, squashing down the ache in your throat. His worry turns to concern- he's far too good at reading you, and the emotion on his face steadily becomes more fraught.

"What's wrong? Are you alright? Did something happen?" he trips over the words, his thoughts of retrieving his spellbook forgotten as he searches your expression, his hands instinctively raised as if to defend you from danger.

This isn't the right time, not with him treading the boundaries of death and life himself.

"I think this situation with the spirit thief... I think it has more to do with me than I first thought," you manage. Which is still true enough, no matter how defeated your heart now feels.

"Wh-what does that mean?" Felix babbles. He closes the distance between you, but before you even mean to, you take a step backward, your eyes stinging with unshed tears. Felix halts immediately, trying to conceal the unfamiliar hurt of your rejection.

"-please tell me...what that means," Felix tries again, and your chest clenches as you see him do his best to swallow, his mouth trembling. "I can see something's terribly wrong. Please... I..."