How they help you feel better

[ just a quick note to say I don't want anyone to worry, I am not experiencing depression right now, this is just a chapter I like to write! <3 (also every mc is completely different so I 1000% understand if some of these are more like... omg no! xDD) and also thank you so much to everyone who has been reading these, it's honestly the most fun ever reading your reactions or about who you liked and so on, it makes my whole day!! :_))

-

Sage

When you tell Sage that you're feeling in a slightly low mood, he listens quietly while you explain it, taking you seriously without needing to ask any questions.

You're actually a little surprised at how easily he seems to get what you mean, and not for the first time, it occurs to you how hard Sage occasionally seems to be on himself, or that he doesn't always think he's worth a second chance.

Sage asks if you'd like to train together, because he often finds that he needs to distract himself or lose himself in something difficult when things are going down the drain. But he understands when you tell him maybe another time, you're feeling a bit listless right now.

So Sage decides to tackle the problem head-on... since you're low on energy, he asks if he can simply pick you up and take you exploring that way instead. You laugh and say he's going to be low on energy too if he carries you around all day, but not only is he not kidding, Sage picks you up and carries you effortlessly, smirking and chuckling as if he's enjoying proving you wrong way too much.

He holds you against his chest, one arm behind your shoulders and the other below the bend of your knees. No one seems to be paying either of you the slightest notice, so you eventually lean into his front and jokingly tell him to do his worst.

You can hear Sage's breathing change every time he climbs a new staircase to show you the view, or how warm he gets when the breeze from the docks seems to whip through your jacket, as if he's making up for the cold for you.

He buys something spicy and sticky for you to eat from a streetstall, making sure he buys one for himself too so that you don't feel guilty about him only spending money on you when you know he's pretty short. He even refrains from wolfing his in the first ten seconds so that you won't have to eat by yourself. If you don't finish he'll look guiltily hopeful and then eat straight from the skewer in your hand.

He grabs a couple of bed-rolls and takes you up to the rooftop that night, so that if you can't sleep you can both stare at the stars instead. When you lay down, he yawns and stretches and whacks his tail heavily across your chest, saying this is so you can just pull his tail if he starts snoring.

...but you start to feel like he finds it comforting to be close to you too.

You find yourself drifting awake at some point during the middle of the night, and finding you feel the tiniest bit better. You quietly turn toward Sage, only to catch him quickly squeezing his eyes shut and pretending to be asleep, he wasn't looking at you at all.

You gently extricate one of his hands from where he's got them bunched under a makeshift pillow, then uncurl his fingers and rest your cheek in the middle of his palm. You go back to sleep with your head nestled into his hand, not bothering to hide your grateful smile in case he just happens to open his eyes in your direction again.

Anisa

When you let Anisa know you're experiencing a low mood, her first concern is that something must've happened in town- did you get roughed-up by some overzealous watchguard? Did Mournfall's usual suspects target you with a scam? Were you pickpocketed?