Regrets

You're a laboratory experiment, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle.

Steve Rogers still remembered that day. It was tattooed on his mind with permanent ink and he was sure that he would not forget it soon. Even if he lost his memory at one point of his life, he knew without a doubt that somehow he would still remember it.

It taunted him even when he was sleeping and all he wanted to do was to prove that it was not right.

And that was the first thought that came into his mind when Thor's hammer collided with his hand. He had to resist the urge to go and show what he had just done to the man in a suit of iron. He was not a six-year-old kid that needed to be praised. He didn't need to prove Tony wrong. He was better than that.

Instead he smiled at the God on the ground, who was looking at him proudly, and went to help him fight Thanos. He felt an unknown power run through his veins and thunder came out of the hammer and hit the mad Titan. Thor stood up, once he didn't have the purple man on him anymore. The two of them fought side by side, protecting each other from the attacks. Steve didn't even notice but he found himself with the Stormbreaker, while Thor had Mjolnir. "Give me that, you take the little one" Thor told him and they switched hammers.

Tony, meanwhile, watched from afar as the Captain lifted Mjolnir. He smiled, even though nobody could see it behind the mask. Deep down, he always knew that he was worthy. Soon enough, Tony found himself fighting the purple titan, struggling to take off of him the gauntlet where the stones were. He was soon thrown to the ground, far from Thanos but he was quick to stand up and run towards him again. He kept fighting, trying to take the gauntlet off. He thought about what they had done wrong last time. And when he saw Strange lift a finger in his direction, he understood exactly what he had to do.

You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play

He tried with all his strength to take it off but he was again thrown to the ground. Thanos raised his hand, ready to snap again. "I am inevitable" he said, before snapping his fingers. Everyone waited for something to happen was confused when nothing changed. Thanos turned his hand and showed that the stoned were not in their place anymore. Thanos looked confused at Tony, who raised his hand like the titan had done before. "And I... am... Iron man" Tony snapped and watched as the bad guy started to disappear, Thanos being the last one to go.

When they were finally gone, he let himself fall against a rock. His body screamed in pain as the power of the stones was too strong for him. Even though his vision was getting blurry, he saw Peter, Pepper and Rhodey walk towards him.

Peter took off his mask and let everyone see his tear-stained face. The teen fell to his knees in front of him. Dust and blood covered his face. "Hey, Mr Stark. It's me" the kid said. "Can you hear me?" Tony tried to nod, to show the kid that he could but he was too weak. "We won, Mr Stark, you did it" Peter managed to say, before Pepper made him go away.

Tony's eyes locked with the Captain's and he noticed that he was crying too. He thought about the conversation they had had some years before. He then smiled weakly and closed his eyes as Pepper told him that he could rest. Maybe, after all, he was the one to make the sacrifice play.

Regret was one of the only things Steve Rogers could feel at that moment. Pain, sadness and anger being the other ones. As he thought back at the infamous conversation the two of them had, he couldn't help but regret everything he had said to him that day.

You're a big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?

Tony's answer was glued to his mind: genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

As the years passed, he realized that he was much more than a man in a suit of armor: Iron man was just a side of him. He realized that Tony Stark had three different personalities that shared the same body: Iron man, the hero who was brave and always ready to save the city or the world;

Tony Stark, the genius, billionaire, once playboy, who had a smart mouth and had always a sarcastic comment ready to be said.

Iron man and Tony Stark were the public figures, the ones that everyone knew.

And finally, there was Tony. Tony, the man who hadn't had the best childhood in the world. Or even the best father in the world. Who had been hurt way too many times but who was strong enough to keep going. Tony was the one who cared about everyone and protected them at all costs. Who loved just a woman and had a daughter with her. He was the one who took a lonely boy under his wings and gave him protection and the father-figure he desperately needed. Tony was the real him. The other two personalities were made up by him to hide the real him. There were just three people who knew the man behind the mask: his wife, his best friend and his kid who was not really his kid.

Yes, he was a big man in a suit of armor. But once you took that off, he was much more than that: he was a friend, a husband, a father and a hero. And Steve was sorry, because Tony had to sacrifice himself for him to realize that. So, he kneeled down in front of him. To give him the respect that Tony hadn't received from him before.

So, that was a bit different from what I always write and it's a bit shorter too. I hope you like it :)

If you have requests, please send them to me and I'll try to write them.