Chapter 5 - Do you ever plan your future?

Adrien

What happened the night before was a totally insane for Adrien. Ladybug have visited him. What did that mean?

It was thinking in that, and not in the severe punishment his father gave him the day before, that Adrien walked out of his bedroom like in any normal day, went down to the dining room. What he saw was so shocking he though we must be dreaming.

His father was in his place at the meals, or so Natalie told him, eating breakfast and reading the newspaper in the phone.

What in the world?

"D-dad?" stuttered Adrien.

"Oh, Adrien." he said, finally noticing his son was there, staring at him "Have a seat, please."

Why was he acting like if it was routine? Usually Garbriel Agreste would have meals in his office, unlike the public opinion though that, by selling his soul to the Devil, he didn't have to feed himself to survive anymore.

"I know this is not usual. I'm trying to change that."

What? Was he feeling alright? Gabriel Agreste wanting to get closer to his son? That one was new.

"I... I am so-" tried to say Adrien

"Don't be." interrupted Gabriel "I am the only guilty in this situation. I found that I'm not spending enough time with you."

He was right. For the first time in almost two years, his self-criticism was one hundred percent right. That was... unexpected coming from his father, but it was good to see him trying to be better.

He couldn't even imagine his old man's true intentions.

The breakfast was, for the first time since Adrien's mom death, pleasing. Turns out Gabriel was very talkative when not playing the old-fashioned dad role. From school and work to music and even books and movies, every topic that could be debated in a meal was debated, not even escaping deeper exchange of opinions about the world and mankind.

What was wrong?

Adrien couldn't possibly figure it out, but he hoped that, whatever it was, his dad would never fix it.

"Oh, by the way Adrien." said his father wiping his mouth with a cloth napkin "I was interested in inviting a younger promising designer to have an internship with me for a couple of weeks."

Ok, fashion classes? Was it all about it? He wanted names? No, it couldn't be. He would have asked straight away. Wouldn't he?

"Oh, that's interesting." said Adrien carefully.

"I would like to know if you know anyone that would be interested." continued Gabriel.

Marinette. The first person in hid mind was Marinette. She would love to work with a king of fashion just like his father. But where was the catch?

"Uh... Maybe... Marinette Dupain-Cheng?"

Gabriel's look hardened for a moment, as he was thinking in who could possibly be Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

"Oh, yes. The girl who designed your hat, wasn't she?" he asked after a few seconds.

"Exactly." replied Adrien as he stuffed his mouth with an apple.

"Yes, Miss Dupain-Cheng is extraordinarily gifted. It would be great to have her as an intern."

Oh... That was easy...

"Would it be too much trouble going to the Dupain-Cheng's bakery and invite her personally?" questioned the designer.

"No, not at all." answered Adrien "I could even get a croissant or two." he joked.