Chapter 24 - The Aftermath (Again)

Marinette

The white waiting room of Hospital Hotel-Dieu in the intensive cares wing was empty a that hour of the night, with the exception of Marinette and Adrien. Several hospital chairs and a reception with a nurse composed a simple, yet versatile, room where patient's relatives could wait for hours until they are allowed to visit their loved ones. With access to food and water and with a little cash (for the son of a millionaire) the couple was willing to wait there the whole night.

The official version of the history is that Mister Agreste started feeling funny around half past ten and taken to hospital a few minutes past eleven. The diagnostic in the hospital was severe breakdown, which wasn't as far from the truth as one might imagine taking into account magic was involved. The party was immediately called off and Nathalie called an ambulance to take Gabriel to Hospital Hotel-Dieu, the closest one from the mansion. It was now forty five minutes past midnight.

Adrien was looking down to his legs, with both arms crossed. His mind was probably a thousand kilometers an hour, trying to process everything that has pasted in that day. Marinette was yet to understand why was she taking it all so "well". Maybe she already knew in some level?

"You know a person for your whole life..." he said "And in one hour, you start questioning everything you know about that person..."

Marinette looked to her loved one. Neither of them took the masks off. What would be the nurse thinking about them?

"Do you need something?" she asked.

Adrien looked at his lady. He'd never seen her more concerned. How could he never have fallen for Marinette before?

"No, thanks." he answered.

The silence returned. The room was tired and it wanted to sleep. It was just waiting for the two teens to shut it so it could finally do. When they finally did, you could hear the windows close their eyes and the ceiling snorting.

For Marinette, the inaction was a torture. Being impotent, without knowing what was happening, was worse than being defeated by Hawk Moth because, if they were defeated, at least they did something.

She was done with it. Our beloved Marinette could not wait a single more moment. She stood up and walked straight to the nurse, trying her best to look threatening. She was ready to start screaming, demanding for news from Gabriel. Her face should be red of so angry she was.

"Excuse me." she said extremely politely "Are there any news from Mister Agreste?"

No matter how angry Marinette was, our golden girl could never be aggressive towards a stranger. Bless or curse?

"He's resting now." she answered mechanically "Give him half an hour to recover, then you may visit him, but don't expect him to be awaken."

***

Marinette's parents met them at the hospital in no time. With them, they brought blankets, a pair of pillows and real food. They were expecting something like that to happen. Eventually, Marinette and Adrien would pull something like that. Everyone in Paris was waiting for that moment for so long. The love between those two was so pure, no one outside the realms of fiction could ever live such love with someone. One could love someone like them, but either that person would not love him that way back or would not love them at all. That's the fate of writers: describe something we know that can't happen in real life. I'm not talking about magic jewels and superheroes, I'm talking about a love like this one.

"Excuse me, Mister Agreste." said the nurse "You're father was woken up and the doctor has given you clearance to visit him. Would you like to visit him now?"