Chapter 19 - The plan

Adrien

Marinette didn't look back at Adrien even once while they were going down the stairs. But Adrien was sure she was wondering about what just happened. He knew she was trying to decide, and he made the first move, he had the high ground.

"Marinette." called Gabriel "I still have to talk with you."

Marinette nodded and accompanied Gabriel to his office. What could he want to talk with her now?

Adrien kept moving to the hall. He was sure about talking with Kagami about this situation. She deserved to know, she deserved to be with someone that actually loved her, not him. He couldn't think about anyone besides his lady, Ladybug, Marinette...

They were this whole time the same person... How could he never figured it out before? They wouldn't be in this situation if he did. For a moment he imagined what would it be if they knew it all along. They could be a couple, be in touch if something happened, cover up for each other. In all ways, there was no disadvantage in knowing each other's identities. Was there?

Adrien arrived to the hall, but his mind was still thinking about it. Why would Master Fu put such an stupid rule over the miraculous...

"Oh, Adrien. There you are." said a familiar voice.

Kagami was right behind him while he was thinking about this. It was now or never. Was he prepared?

"I was looking for you for a while." she continued "You disappeared without telling me anything."

"Yeah... I was.. doing something." he said timidly "Kagami... there's something I need to say."

She obviously noticed something was wrong. Her somewhat relaxed position - that looked more like a tense position of a normal person - faded into a more stressed one. Something was fishy, and it wasn't the salmon mousse.

"I... I can't do this, ok? I-I tried, but... I can't..." he began.

"Adrien, what's wrong?" she asked, scared.

"I-I can't lie to you. You are my friend, and I like you a lot, but I don't love you." he said without breathing. It wasn't that hard, was it?

Wait for it.

"W-What do you mean?" she said with tears forming in her brown eyes.

"I... I can't be your boyfriend... I tried, but... it wouldn't be fair for you... I'm so sorry."

She blinked, as if that way the tears would stop. As she understood that wouldn't happen, she closed her eyes and user her hands to wipe them. Once she has opened them again, the sad look was gone. In her face was nothing but neutrality and some level of contempt towards Adrien.

"I understand." her voiced trembled "See you, Adrien."

And she walked away, passively.

The scene was traumatic for Adrien. Couldn't she simply start screaming with all her strength? Why did she kept so neutral, as if it was nothing. Wasn't she going to miss him?

At least, it was done now.

Marinette

Gabriel's office was dark and empty. It was hard to believe that he would spend day and night in there, working. He obviously let work fill every moment he had to not fall into the sadness provoked by the death of his wife.

Gabriel turned on the lights in the studio and moved to Emilie's portrait. Marinette only now noticed the its similarities with "The Woman in Gold" of Gustav Klimt. That was surely not a coincidence.