Chapter 13 - The ladybug and the moth

Gabriel

Gabriel was working in his office, signing forms and checking guest lists. The pile of work was accumulating, quickly as the time passed and the party was getting closer. Natalie warned him that pulling the party was a terrible idea. He was now understanding her point.

His desk was full of documents for him to check, his desktop had several disorganized documents and his intercom was ringing. He clicked on the button to pick it up. It was Natalie.

"She arrived." her voice said "Should I send her in right away?"

"Yes. I need to talk to her before Marinette arrives." he replied.

In no time, a tanned girl with brown hair and mud green eyes entered Gabriel's office. The name was Lila, but she was akumatized so many times that she could be called Volpina too.

"Miss Rossi, thanks for coming." greeted Gabriel.

"The pleasure is mine, Mister Agreste." she greeted back "So, what was the so important matter you needed to talk to me?"

Gabriel walked closer to her. The day had arrived.

"Lila, you were akumatized several times, weren't you?" he asked.

"I-Indeed." she replied "Why do you ask?"

"Do you have any idea of who Hawk Moth really is?" he questioned.

Lila was starting to feel intimidated. Too many questions. She prepared in case she needed to lie.

"No, sir. Why do you ask?" she repeated.

"Would you like to know?" he said.

Her eyes grew. Could Gabriel Agreste know who Hawk Moth was?

"Yes, yes I would like to know very much." she replied.

Gabriel smiled. His plan was working out well.

"Nooroo, dark wings rise." he said calmly.

The difference to how neutrally he activated his miraculous to how our heroes activated theirs said a lot about Gabriel. He felt like that power suited him. He felt that it was rightfully his. And, slowly, Hawk Moth's cane appeared in Gabriel's hands, and the metalic mask in his face, and slowly he became Hawk Moth.

Anyone would fall back, retreat, run in fear, scream in the streets "Gabriel Agreste is Hawk Moth! Gabriel Agreste is Hawk Moth!", but not Lila. Lila Rossi wanted the power Hawk Moth could provide her. And now that she knew that Gabriel Agreste was the detentor of that power, she started wondering how would be have the power of the butterfly miraculous for herself.

"When the time comes, I'll return you your powers. You'll have to be ready for that." said Hawk Moth, in his deep dark voice.

Marinette

Natalie greeted Marinette and warned her that Gabriel was busy in the moment. She guided her to Adrien's room, where he greeted her. Marientte and Adrien spent a few moments talking, before Natalie calling Marinette for the internship.

"See you later then." said Marinette to Adrien.

"See you later." replied him smilling.

Marinette went down, towards Gabriel's office. When she entered, he was looking to a painting in the wall. A beautiful woman could be seen in it and Gabriel was definitely mourning. 

"She's Emily Agreste." declared Marinette "Your wife and Adrien's mother that died about a year ago. Isn't she?"

Gabriel turned around. For the fraction of a second, Marine though he was mad at him. But then he sighted. He clearly couldn't handle the burden alone. He desperately needed to talk to someone.