Chapter 16 - Trapped, like a fox

Lila

Volpina was sitting in a rooftop close to Champ de Mars. She had used a smaller illusion to make people run away from it before using another to make Eiffel Tower seem to fall with an explosion. Helicopters from the news where already all over the place and soon, hopefully Ladybug and Chat Noir would be on their way. Her plan was going well.

A butterfly shaped mask appeared in front of her face. Hawk Moth was trying to establish a connection with her. She considered for a moment if she should let him or not because, unlike every other akumatized person, Lila was completely aware. She didn't let Gabriel know that, but she was aware of what she was doing. She could manipulate the very bond between the butterfly miraculous and her akuma. If she wanted, she could even destroy it.

"Volpina, our plan is working well my dear." Hawk Moth's voice said inside her head "Remember, when Ladybug and Chat Noir appear, attack him first so he uses his cataclysm. When Ladybug uses her lucky charm, try to take it away from her. This way, you will be able to..."

"Don't sweat, Hawk Moth." she replied "I've got everything under control." and the mask disappeared.

A red and a orange blur appeared close to the Eiffel Tower. Ladybug and Rena Rouge had arrived.

Marinette

As Marinette approached the fallen debris of what was once the most iconic landmark of Paris, something made her alarm ring. She had seen that kind of powers before. She couldn't figure out who, but the villain was a re-akumatized citizen.

It was only when she touched a piece of iron that she understood what were they fighting. The whole thing just vanished out of existence in a orange colored smoke. Volpina.

As the illusion was disappearing, the Eiffel Tower reappeared in it's rightful place. Ladybug and Rena Rouge turned back instinctively. They looked each other, trying to figure out what the other was thinking. But that moment was interrupted Vopina jumping out of the river and flying against them at full speed.

Both Marinette and Alya made their weapons rotate so fast they acted like a shield. Volpina just speeded up as our heroes braced for impact and, when Volpina touched the yo-yo, she vanished like the tower. Another illusion.

Several Volpinas rose in the air, way too far for Marinette to reach them with her yo-yo. Some came from behind the houses, other from roofs close, others spawned in front of them. There were too many to know which one was the real Lila or if there was any real at all.

That was not going to be easy.

Adrien

Chat Noir was going as fast as he could to Champ de Mars, when the Eiffel Tower reappeared in it's place.

"Volpina" he though.

Carapace joined him not much later. The two arrived to a roof close to Champ de Mars just in time to see several Volpinas rising in the air and surrounding Ladybug and Rena Rouge. Adrien didn't think twice before jumping and using his staff to rise himself to the level of the Volpinas and hitting them with a spinning strike. Only one Volpina didn't vanish, the real one that started falling from the sky. First, it seemed to be of the impact, but then she was clearly falling knocked out.

What did he have done? An akumatised villain wasn't as invulnerable as someone using a Miraculous. Falling from that height... she could die...

Adrien using his staff to push him closer to her, holding her from the waist and descending slowly with the help of his staff. What Adrien didn't notice was that Lila wasn't unconscious. 

"Thank you so much, kitty." she said with her soft voice "I'm going to take this if you don't mind."

When Adrien turned his face to Lila, she was already with his ring in her hand. His mask slowly began to disappear. What could he do? What could he do?