Chapter 13: Novela

Song Recommendation: Storybook Children by Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood "You've got your world, and I've got mine, and it's a shame...Two grownup worlds that will never be the same... Why can't we be like Storybook Children?Running through the rain, hand in hand, across the meadow..."

The camera felt cool under Sage's finger pads. Sometimes she had sudden bursts of inspiration that lead her around the city alone just snapping away. A high sensation came over her body when she peeked through the lense and seized the scene in front of her with a simple click of a button. After snapping away for a few hours, she placed her camera in its case and decided to just take a walk.

The concrete had a sheet of shallow snow mixed with water so it looked like a gray pile of slush. Sage stepped over the big puddles by the corner of the sidewalk and looked around. The night was young and active as cars sped through the street and families went in and out of stores catching Christmas sales.

She likes spending time by herself because she would learn more and love her solitude a bit more. But being lonesome started to feel dangerous because at times she felt a presence following her, much like tonight. The thing is, Sage wasn't sure and she didn't want to seem crazy but nothing else explained the sensation of someone else watching her.

She placed her camera bag to the side over her shoulder and took out her iphone. She peered at the screen looking for Dave's name which didn't take long.

"Hi," She greeted lowly. She wanted to seem as casual as possible just in case her suspicions were true.

"Hi baby, I can't talk on the phone right now." Dave said quickly. He was preoccupied with business at Aubrey's apartment.

"Please, I just need you on the phone." Sage glanced around and picked up the pace in her step. She decided on making her way to the nearest train station.

Dave placed his laptop on Aubrey's coffee table and walked out the living room where the rest of the higher ups in his team were. "Baby what's going on? I'll drop everything for you. What's going on?"

This is exactly what she was afraid of, this whole thing to be blown out of proportion. She just wanted comfort while she was on her way to the train station. "I-I don't really know..." She made a sharp left but not before peeking behind her catching sight of a figure slipping out of sight behind a brownstone. "I think I'm being followed but don't freak out..."

"Why would I not freak out, babygirl? I'm picking you up, I don't even trust Uber right now."  Dave pulled on a puffer coat and a beanie before saying a quick farewell to his people.

"Okay. I just don't know if I'm right..." Sage felt her breath quickening before she slipped into a small chinese food place. It seemed like a lowkey place but that was the only thing easing her mind. Change of plans

"Stay on the phone till I get you." Dave instructed skipping all types of red lights, following her location.

"Okay, should I keep walking? I was gonna hop on the train but--" Sage began.

"Nah, not the train. You can keep walking though, I'm already close but traffic is hell." He said. He wanted to run this red light but all these cars were in front of him.

"I'm in a Chinese food place," She informed him. The people in the restaurant were too busy eating or ordering food to notice or care for her presence and that calmed her hyperventilating. "I'm so scared."

"You know I'm not gonna let anything happen to you," He told her. His voice was soft and soothing. Her heartbeat pulsed a little bit slower at his reassuring words.

"What if I was just buggin'?" She asked curiously. She looked around the store once more and then took a quick glance out the window, not seeing anyone or anything out the norm.

"Better safe than sorry," Dave shrugged and turned on the street she was on. "Coming soon."

"Babe what car you driving?" She knew he liked to switch cars depending on how he felt. One day he'd be driving a Rolls Royce and another it'll be his benz so she knew to ask him.

"Black Cadillac Escalade. I'm outside." He took the gun from his glove department and placed it on his waist.

Sage gathered herself and left the warm and cozy restaurant and stepped out into the cold, harsh air. She immediately saw his car and let out a sigh of relief as she hopped over slush and water.

As soon as she made it into the car she leaned over to kiss him on the cheek but he turned his face and kissed her lips. "I'm glad you're safe." But he spoke too soon when he heard a loud pop sound in the air knowing exactly what it was. They were shooting.

He didn't have time to think before he pressed the pedal with his foot and jerked the car forward into a rush. Luckily, no one was in front of his car so it was a straightforward ride. The popping sound didn't stop as one bullet found its way to his car but it didn't harm them as his car was bulletproof.

"What the fuck?" Sage blurted out and slid down in her seat. Her heartbeat was fast again, catching up with the speed of the car. She peeked over at an intense Dave whose grip on the steering wheel was tight as his hand paled and his arm was taut. Any other time she'd be googley eyes at his appearance but right now she was confused, scared and tired.

She didn't know when this became the real world for her and not some action film she was witnessing on T.V. As much as David tried to keep this part away from her it was inevitable that she would end up in the mix. The funny part about everything is the fact that Sage wouldn't trade her position for the world.

Dave replaced his hand with the other and reached over to grab her hand. She looked over at him. "What I say? You know I wouldn't let anything happen to you." They both knew that he tried to protect her at all times but she couldn't help but think if he wasn't able to at one point.

"Okay Mr. Superman and what if one day you can't save me in time?" He had slowed down but he was still running through red lights and weaving in between cars.

"I don't care, I'm not losing you to no one, no matter the length I have to go to. That's all I'mma say about that," Dave told her earnestly. "You're my world and more."

As they drove into the night, a blanket of calmness fell over them. Those words stuck with her. You're my world and more. For some reason, they fed her heart.

Endnote: It's short so I might update one more time this weekend or the middle of next week, it's up to you guys and how you react to this chapter, just let me know. Hope y'all enjoyed this though.