Chapter 31: Vesper

Song recommendation: Pink + White by Frank Ocean "Kiss the Earth that birthed you
Gave you tools just to stay alive"
     Being in an academic space felt foreign to Sage seeing as how she has not attended a lick of class for weeks. The halls were empty and smelled of lemon disinfectant. It was after class hours, but that didn't subside the thoughts that maybe Jay could be there with her at this very moment. Quickly scanning her surroundings, she sauntered down the hall towards her guidance counselor's office. Ms. Diaz was a quirky and playful counselor that's been with the school for a few years. She took a special interest in Sage when she discovered her love for photography but now she's emailed her, urging her to get back on track to finish her senior year.

She sucked in a breath before tapping on the wooden door with her knuckles. It wasn't long before Ms. Diaz's face popped up in front of her. She flashed her pearly whites, "Wow! You're alive!" If only you knew, Sage thought. Her mind flashbacked to time she spent stuck in q1qa ppla room with no way out. "You okay, Sage?"

 "You okay, Sage?"

     She must have zoned out because Ms

She must have zoned out because Ms. Diaz was waving her hand in her face to regain her attention. She shook her head, climbing out of her intense pondering and beamed back at her, "Oh, I'm fine. Hi."

"You're a horrible liar but come in, kiddo!" She marched over to her filing cabinet to find Sage's record folder. Sage took a seat in the cushioned seat positioned in front of her desk. After rummaging for a while, Ms. Diaz held her file into the air like a trophy, "Got it!"

"Thank you for calling me... I should've updated you more," Sage began, fiddling with her fingers.

"Yeah, you should've because you know you can come to me about anything, Miss Baglio," She said matter of factly, taking her place on the edge of her desk, "But, we're not here to bust your balls for a lack of communication, I just wanna talk to you about your future."

Sage caught her big blue eyes and immediately felt bad for not doing her part in keeping her up to par all this time. "I'm sorry...I just been through a lot these past few weeks. I'll do better."

Ms. Diaz was comforted hearing that, knowing Sage's irresolute behavior was not intentional or common. It was easy for someone in her position to care about her and the rest of the students that attended a small private school like this. "You're fine, shit happens. Are you ready to finish out your last year of high school?"