Chapter 18: Oscillate

Song recommendation: Pendulum by FKA Twigs "Lately, I'm not so present now, not enough for your constant found"

     It was a cold January day, the air cut through like a knife in butter and the freshly lain snow crunched beneath her boots

     It was a cold January day, the air cut through like a knife in butter and the freshly lain snow crunched beneath her boots. Despite all of this, the street was littered with cars and the sidewalks composed of crowds of people. It was a few days after New Years and people were ready to get back to their routine of working, shopping and so forth. The sky swirled into an ultramarine blue as the minutes passed by, falling into a late evening.

     Sage stopped in front of the small cafe to where it held this lowkey but notorious photographer, at least according to Ella. Apparently Ella got his name from her old fling Marcus because she babbled on about Sage's love for photography and he suggested they met.

     Fortunately, the cafe was a warm contrast to the outside cold, so Sage shrugged off her gloves and scarf immediately as she approached his table. He seemed very into whatever was in the book he was reading until she pulled out the seat. "Luka?" She held out her hand, flashing a polite smile. He looked up reciprocating the smile, showing off pearly whites. He was a cute boy with thick locs and a small mustache etched on top of his lip.

     "Sage, I'm glad you made it." He took her hand into his and kissed it softly. She didn't expect such an affectionate welcome but she accepted it and took her seat.

     "Whatcha reading? Anything good?" Sage asked, attempting to make conversation. Luka set his book down, a chuckle escaping his lips, "The Institute by Stephen King. Everything by him is good, I'd argue." She didn't know if it was her eyes tricking her but she felt his stare linger longer than usual. She quickly diverted her own to the menu by the counter closeby.

     She turned her head back towards him. "Uh, I bet. Never really read his work but I heard good things," she disclosed casually.

     Luka shrugged, leaning in, "Yeah I get it. Hey, if you're looking for a drink I can imagine your type is white chocolate mocha..."

     Sage nodded slowly at the accuracy, her eyebrows raised. "Wow, scarily accurate. Almost like you know me." It was a joke but Luka didn't laugh, just stared for a bit. She squirmed a little bit until eventually he cleared his throat.