A Day to Start Something New

As the sun starts to rise from the east, over the town of New Mushroomton, everyone was already getting up and starting their day. At a nice house, in her room, a young elf girl was in the midst of getting ready to head to school. She was just brushing her long, violet hair when she hears a knock on her door. "Madi, are you almost ready?" a voice asked. "Yea, Mother, I'm just about ready" the girl said. She puts the brush down, grabs her bag and makes her way downstairs. Once she was down, she goes to the kitchen, where her moms where at, along with her baby brother and sister. "Morning, Madi" said her mom, Mallory, as she was making some breakfast. "Morning Mom" Madi said.

Her mother, Cadence, looks at her daughter and a smirk appears on her face. "Well, don't you look extra nice today, sweetie" she said. Madi looks at her and said "what do you mean? I look decently nice all the time" Mallory finishes making the twin's food and starts to feed them. While doing so, she said "Well, today, you're looking extra nice. Any reason why?" Madi's face starts to slightly turn red. "There's no reason, must there be a reason why I want to look nice once in a while" she explained. Both her mothers gave each other a knowing look. They look back at their daughter and Cadence said "does it have anything to do with a certain boy and his birthday today" Upon hearing this,  Madi's face grows darker. The person her moms were talking about  was the boy next door, Ian Lightfoot, her closest friend and her longtime crush. "Look, it's not for the reason you guys think. Ian just asked me if I wanted to ride on the bus with him to school, and, as a friend, I said yes" she said to her parents.

"Hmm mmm, sure" Cadence said. "C'mon, Mother, I'm being serious" Madi replied. "Madi, you've known Ian since we first moved out here, and you haven't even told him how you felt about him, yet?" Mallory said. "Well, I mean, I-" Before she could say anything, her mom said "listen, kiddo, I was scared about confessing my feelings, too. It took me a long time to ask your mother out, and I was a nervous wreck" "It's true, she was really flustered and slightly sweaty, too" Cadence mentioned. Mallory cleared her throat and she continued. "The point is, you'll never know if he'll like you back if you don't take the chance". Madi wanted to believe her mom's words, but it's not that simple. Madi and Ian have been friends since they were little kids, and that friendship grew stronger and stronger everyday. That's how her feelings for him started to develop. There were times where she wanted to tell him how she felt, but she also didn't want to ruin her friendship with him either, so she kept her feelings aside.

Before she can say anything else, she hears the doorbell ring. "Oh, that's probably him. Gotta go now" Madi said. She gives both her moms a hug and kisses her twin siblings heads. "Bye, guys" she said. "Bye Madi" As she was going to the door, she looks at herself in the mirror. She moves a strand of hair behind her ear, smiles, and goes to the door. Madi then opens the door and sees a blue elf with brown eyes and curly blue hair, which he was in the midst of straighten his hair. He stops when he sees the elf girl before him. "Uh, Madi, hi" he said to her. "Hey Ian, happy birthday" Madi said back. "Thanks, uh, are you ready to go?" he asks her. "Ready if you are" she replied. Madi closes the door and the two walk away from the house, making their way to the bus stop. "Oh, um, you look nice by the way" Ian said, while they were walking. Madi slightly blushes and said "thank you, you look nice too". Now, it was Ian's turn to blush. "Uh, um, t-thanks" They walked for a few more minutes until they got to the bus stop. For a moment, Madi notices Ian's sweatshirt. "Is that your dad's sweatshirt?" she asks. "Yea, yea it was" he replied, looking down sadly at it.

Madi looks at her friend with a sorry look on her face. Ian told her about how his father died before he was born, and how his only wish in his whole life was to meet him. She could only place her hand on his arm in comfort. "From what Barley told me, he sounds like a pretty nice guy" she said. "Yes, he was" he said. To help cheer him up, Madi looks up at him with a smile on her face. "Hey, cheer up, Ian. It is your birthday after all. It's what your mom says 'on every birthday, it's a chance to try something new'. Maybe that'll be something to try out" she said to him. Then, the bus shows up in front of the two elves and Madi gets on first. As they were getting on, Ian takes a little object out of the sweatshirt pocket. In his hand, there is a small necklace with a small, blue gem within it. This wasn't something he got for himself, this is something he got for someone special. That special someone is the very girl he just talked to. That's right, he too has feelings for Madi. But just like her, he couldn't tell her for fear of ruining their friendship. Today, though, could be different. He looks at it, then looks back at Madi. "Something new" he muttered to himself. A smile appears his face as he thought about it more. He takes a seat next to Madi, and they make their way to school.