Spell Gone Wrong

Ian and Madi sat in the back of Guinivere while Barley drove through the express way. The elf boy looks towards the girl and asks her "you sure you're okay, Madi? I mean, you don't have any burns or scratches do you?" "Don't worry, Ian, I'm fine, all three of us are" she said, referring to Wilden and the baby dragon, who playfully tugged on Ian's pant leg. Both young teens laughed at that cute action. "Hey, take it easy there, Echo" Madi said to the little dragon. Ian raises a brow at her. "Echo?" he said in wonder. "Yea, I mean, whenever she chirps, it almost sounds like an echo" Madi explains, looking back down at the little one. The baby dragon, now known as Echo, makes a final tug on Ian's pant leg, and then she rolls onto her back. She gets up, shakes her head and chirps, indeed sounding like echo. Ian looks back at Madi, who gave him a smirk. "See?" she said as Echo jumps onto her lap. The elf boy laughs as he gently pets the dragon's head. "Yea, I guess that fits" he said. The elf girl chuckles and gives him a soft smile. Both of them were silent for a moment. Madi breaks it and said "also, thank you for saving me back there, you were really brave" As she said that, Ian couldn't stop the blush forming on his face as he chuckles nervously and his heart skips a beat. "Uh, t-thanks Madi. You were pretty brave too. I mean, the way you talked to the manticore and how you went to save Dad and Echo, that was pretty amazing" he said to her. Now it was Madi's turn to blush, who twirls her hair and tucks it behind her ear. "Thanks, Ian" she managed to say without stuttering. 

Then, she feels his hand brush against her while he still petted the baby dragon. They both slightly tense and look up at each other, neither of them saying a word. Usually, they would shy away from this and get very flustered afterwards, but Madi wanted to do the next thing she wanted to do. She turns her hand around and allows Ian's hand to be in her palm. Ian watches this, then looks back at his friend/crush, who gave him a soft and shy smile. He returns it, and starts to intertwine his fingers with hers. Both can feel their hearts beating out of their chests at this point. Unknown to them, Barley watches, a smirk on his face, as this cute scene unfolds. Madi then briefly glances at Wilden for a second, before returning her attention back to Ian. "It sure must be nice that we are getting closer to finally seeing your dad" she said, sitting next to her crush. "Yea, it is, but it's too bad that we're not gonna be able to do everything. But that's okay, I just wanna meet him" he said, still holding her hand. He then uses his other hand to touch his father's foot, which Wilden instantly rubs his other foot against it. "Yea, that is all that matters" Madi replied, but then a thought came to her, making her eyes widen. "Wait, what about your mom? She won't be able to see him" she said to him. Ian realizes this as well, as he turns to his older brother and said "Barley, we're not gonna bring Dad back in time to see Mom". Barley's eyes widen for a second, as he lets out a sad 'ooh'. "Well, don't worry, Dad, your not missing too much. At least you don't have to meet the new guy" he said, referring to Colt. With one hand on the steering wheel, he uses his other hand to use as a mustache to intimidate his mom's boyfriend. "(in a Colt voice) So, are you hard at work or hardly working? (does the laugh)". Ian and Madi laugh as the elf boy decides to give it a try. "Barley, Barley, Barley, everytime there's trouble I got to deal with you" he said in his best Colt impression. "Is that your Colt?" Madi asks him. "Yea" he replies. "Hmm, you're gonna work on that. Besides, Madi might do it better, right Mads?" Barley said. 

"Oh no, mine isn't anywhere near as good as you guy's" Madi said, shaking her head. Ian and Barley laugh, but then they feel Guinivere start to slow down a bit. "Aw, no, come on Guinivere" Barley said, pulling over to a nearby empty road. Once they got there, the van stops completely. "Welp, looks like we ran out of gas" Barely said to the younger teens. Ian looks at the gas tank, and sees that it's full. "But that says we have a full tank" he points out. Barley laughs and says "that doesn't work". Then, they all step out of the van, with Echo and Wilden sticking close to them, and the older brother inspects in gas can. "Great, not a whole lot in here" he muttered. "Maybe there's a gas station nearby" Madi said, looking around. "Great idea! I'll look around for one" Barley said, climbing onto the top of the van and looked around. 'This might take a while' Madi thought. Ian sighs and he looks over at his staff. Madi follows his gaze and notices his hesitation. So then, Ian makes up his mind, grabs his staff and looks up at his brother who was still on the van. "Is there a magic way to get gas?" he asks him, hesitantly. "Aha! I like your thinking!" Barley said, climbing off of the van. He lifts up his Quests of Yore book and shouts "Growth Spell! We grow the can, and the gas will grow with it" "That sounds weird" Madi comments. "I know, that's why it's cool!" Barley said.