Chapter Two: Birds and Bees, Adam and Lilith

Archangel Micheal glared at me, "Lilith, mind explaining what you mean by not liking Adam?"

I met his gaze and said "It's simple Michael. I don't feel love for him. I care about him but I can't say I love him or feel a spark with him."

Michael grimaced, "Well Lilith you need to feel something to carry out your duty as the first woman."

"Remind me, why can't I do that with someone else?"

Sam spoke up this time, "It's because you are a human and seeing as you're a new creation we don't know if you could procreate with another being. It's just safer for you to procreate with another human."

I steered my glare to Sam this time, "So what? I don't want to sleep with Adam."

Michael coldly said, "Well that leaves us only one choice. Adam, do you think you could overpower Lilith?"

I feel myself freeze; the threat was obvious and this 'angel' doesn't care about the means, he's only looking for the ends.

Adam looked shocked, "You couldn't mean?!"

Michael remained still, "What God needs are more humans. Personally I don't care how it gets done. Lilith is clearly neglecting her duties to God by refusing to lay with her husband. If I have to make Adam perform on her like a steer, I will gladly get it done."

Adam shook his head and stood between myself and the archangel, "I will not rape Lilith. If we are to do this, we'll do it when she's ready."

Michael stood up and glowered at Adam, "Do you both mean to defy God?"

Sam stood up quickly and placed himself between Michael and Adam. "That's enough Michael. Let me handle the couple. I will try to get them together without force. Please. We shouldn't hurt the humans."

Michael stood down, "Fine. You have a month. After the month I will discuss with God how to get these two moving forward."

Michael took off back to heaven. I looked up at Sam's grim expression, he looked upset with what Michael has declared.

Sam turned to us, "I'm sorry about Michael's cruel words. He only values God's word above all else and it can make him cold to others."

I couldn't speak out of fright for what Michael could've done to me and Adam. Instead I grabbed the hem of Sam's toga. Sam's eyes went wide then he grabbed our hands, "I promise no harm will happen to either of you."

He looked so earnest, I couldn't help myself but smile at him. I also couldn't help the flutter my heart made when our hands touched.

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

Adam looked after me as he prepared the grilled fish for our dinner. Sam had already left and we were left in this awkward silence.

Finally I spoke up, "Thank you for standing up for me back there."

Adam looked back at me with his soft grey eyes. "Lilith you are my friend and companion, I wouldn't dream of hurting you."

I smiled, "So I guess we are on the same page. I just see you as a sibling since we've been raised together in the Garden of Eden."

He sighed, "Yeah I can't say I feel anything romantic towards you. What're we gonna do Lilith? God expects us to reproduce...will we both be punished for disobeying him."

I looked at him, "Adam...I won't let that happen to you."

He smiled at me with the warmth of a brother, "I won't let anything happen to you too."

I like the way our friendship works, it's comfortable this way. But I will admit I fear what will happen if we don't lay together and reproduce.