(Un)Divine Punishment

The morning light broke through awakening us from our anxious slumber. I looked over at Sam, he stirred in his sleep. Today is the day. We are leaving Eden and Heaven behind.

"Lilith...I want to tell you something before we make the trek." Sam murmured half awake. "I love you, when I met you I knew it was always you. Even if I die or get punished I would never regret meeting you. And I would meet you again in any lifetime. I don't care who I have to fight, I will be yours until I die." 

I kissed his cheek and held him in my arms, "I love you too. And we won't die...I swear it."

He smiled at me, "I will never understand mortal courage. But it's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen."

I flushed as I asked, "So how should we do this? Should we pack food?? There's water beyond this realm, right?"

"I've been to the other world and yes it has water but the journey to the gate will probably take us until dark, so we should pack food on the way out and avoid paths." He spoke as he rose up from the damp cavern floor.

I grabbed my toga but...I didn't know how to fasten it. I looked to Sam helplessly after he dressed in his.

He chuckled and said, "Come here."

I walked over to him and he grabbed the fabric to fold it over my body. Then he grabbed the clasp and pinned it in place.

I blushed, "Um thanks...I'm getting used to this whole wearing a toga thing."

He smiled warmly and said, "It's fine, you'll learn how to do it yourself one day. Besides...helping you is never a burden."

Then he planted a kiss upon my forehead. I grabbed his hand, for he was my support as I was his.

"I'm ready." I said.

"Then let's go."

🌳🌳🌳🍀🌳🌳🌳

We traveled through the wood area, only taking break to get to higher ground and see where we were. Our trek was a long and arduous one but we supported one another throughout the long journey. Every now and then I'd catch myself looking over my shoulder for the anonymous assailant after us. But I couldn't find anything to suggest we were followed.

We took a break near a river to drink before completely our journey during the evening. I thought about Adam and his future. We were fiercely protective of one another like siblings. Can I really trust what the king of lies said?

"Are you thinking about Adam?" Sam asked after drinking from the river.

I looked up surprised, "Well um...yeah. I'm worried about his future. What if Satan lied to us? I'm just scared. I don't want to abandon my brother."

He walked over and clasped my hands, "He will be fine. And besides if he isn't, after this mess we can find him after he and Eve falls to see if they're ok. I promise."

I squeezed his hands in mine, "Thank you."

He pulled me up to stand, "I care about Adam as well. I want him to be safe. Let's keep moving, because we are certainly not safe."

I nodded, we will never be safe again.

👿👿👿👿👿👿👿👿👿

It was dusk when we neared the gate to the outside. I touched Sam's shoulder silently.

"This is the way out...I can't believe we made it."

Then a dark voice answered, "Well you didn't."

Satan and this sickly blonde fellow came out of the shadows toward us. Then there was a blue wall of flames separating us. I tried to charge at the barrier but I got burned.

Sam cried out, "What is the meaning of this Lucifer?!"

"Not my name but I will tell you. I am sent here to punish you by God's request. You never asked me if there would be a punishment, did you?" Replied the being of darkness and rot.

Satan lifted his hand and summoned blue flames that were sprouting out of his palm. "Now who am I going to punish first?"