Roaring Fire

While Adam and I waited under the Tree of Knowledge for Sam, Adam looked at me with concern.

"Lilith, what do you make of what Michael told us?"

I turned to him as the sun set, "Obviously I can't be with Sam."

His expression changed to one I have not seen before...anger? Sadness? Hurt?

"Michael mentioned sin and falling but I don't see how love could ever be a sin if we have free will to choose. Love could be the purest emotion one could feel."

I was stunned by him, "But what if he gets hurt? I want to protect him."

"That's love. Wanting to preserve and protect another." He stated simply.

"How do you know this?" I asked.

He smiled, "I don't. Love can be defined and rationalized in a million different ways. But I know that when you see him, you light up. Your eyes change, you become more than you already were. He brings out the best in you, and I think you do the same."

I remained silent as the sky changed to gold, red and purple.

He patted my head, "It's up to you how you want to handle this. Just know that I will not do anything to hurt you, even if things get desperate. Even if sleeping with you is the only way to escape punishment, I will take that punishment myself. If I can help it of course."

This is who we are, equals. Maybe God or Michael want a different narrative where I yield to them; that doesn't matter. Adam is my comrade, my brother, my friend, and my equal. I just hope I can protect everyone.

"You two look grim." Before us was Sam, he had this forced expression on his face.

"So Sam what kind of 'relationship' exercise are we doing now?" Adam asked.

Sam sat down with us, "Well I was hoping you both could define love for me."

Adam's expression turned to interest, "Oh and what shall we call this meeting about the noble feeling of love?"

Sam smiled mischievously, "Let's call it a symposium, a meeting of minds. Now, Adam what is love?"

Adam spoke, "It's when you meet someone who brings out the best in you. Being with someone where you both can become more in every sense."

Sam turned his gaze to me, "What of you, Lilith?"

I thought about it for a moment. What was love to me? Was it seeing beauty in another person? Was it like what Adam said? To become a brighter version of myself. Was it this yearning that burned within me every day when I see him? Maybe it's all of those.

"Love is a fire. It's to become brighter and to burn with yearning for another. It's to see beauty in another person. It's to feel and provide warmth with someone."

Adam smiled warmly as Sam looked both stunned and impressed with my answer.

"What about you Sam?" I challenged my twin flame.

He said, "I don't know..."

Adam also began to challenge Sam, "Come, you must know something."

Sam breathed in, "Love is God and thou art God."

Adam smiled cheekily, "Didn't expect to hear that from an archangel. Thou art God? Won't the big man upstairs get mad with you?"

Sam spoke with some amusement, "He doesn't know what I say here and in a way it is true. You are an independent being who is free of God's will."

"Is that why there are rules and punishments? He can't just snap his fingers and make us procreate?" I said dryly.

Sam looked hurt for a moment before saying, "Yes, it isn't that easy. But nothing for humans will be easy."

When I looked at the sky once more, the sunset had turned into a glittering sea of stars. Not bearing another moment of this thick tension, I stood up.

"I need a minute to myself."

Then I tore off into the woods, not looking back. Not answering anyone's calls.