Balance

The blue flames swirled around us as it took the form of a snake. I haven't seen my senior in centuries and yet this creature was burning brightly like the morning star.

"Now, what is it that God's children wish to ask of me?" He hissed.

Lilith took a deep breath and sat in front of the burning snake. "I want you to tell Adam that he cannot eat the apples from the tree of knowledge."

"Can't do that." He replied quickly.

"Why not?!" Lilith demanded.

Satan sighed, "Well here's the thing Lilith, you were never meant to be Adam's wife. You and Samael were meant to be Adam and Eve's mirror, their counterpart if you will."

"Then why create them? Why send me and Michael to tend to them?" I asked desperately.

"My dear Samael, long ago I learned the real purpose of mine and his existence. We're a strange and cruel balance. Good and evil, pure and corrupt, Assiah and Gehenna. I was meant to learn this information and rebel, demand answers for why everything was manipulated this way. I didn't want God's power, I wanted to stop a tyrannical ruler."

"You lie! I was there!" My sanity began to slip as everything I knew was being put into question.

"I was destined to be his counterpart, it just depended on how and when. This doesn't make either of us evil or good. It makes us a precious balance. For how can you know what is good and pure without bad and corrupt. Those are decisions and choices that are brought upon humanity."

Lilith was shaking, "Then you can't stop what is going to happen to Adam..."

"Sadly my dear, no. But if it makes you feel any better, he pulls through it. He has his true love by his side. Her name is Eve. She will be there with him when they fall. I can promise that he will not be alone when this happens. But what I can do is give him a heads up about you two escaping. Michael will go to him first and demand information. I can take his body and lie for him. It won't count against him. Besides God won't let Adam get hurt." Satan spoke soothingly.

"Why do this for us?" She asked.

"Because I act as a balance, where there is peace there must be chaos. Your marriage is the chaos to their peace. That is what God needs me for." Satan explained.

"Fine, then I ask that you tell Adam that we are safe and leaving Eden tomorrow night. And..." she looked towards me, "heal Sam. We need to be quick."

Satan looked to me, "Don't worry, I'll consider this one on the house. For I gain as much as God in this arrangement."

Blue flames wrapped around my wounded wing and sped up the healing process. These flames didn't hurt...they were warm and pleasant.

I glared at the snake, "How do we know you're not going to betray us?"

"Well hasn't your creator already forsaken both of you for the sake of balance? As I said, God and I are doing our jobs. Nothing more or less. I will see Adam tomorrow and give him the information." Then the flames dissipated.

"Sam...do you believe him?" Lilith asked.

I breathed in, "I don't know. I saw Adam eat the apple but I didn't get to see further into the future than that. So I can't verify this...but when I think about what God has said to me and ordered me to do, I can't ignore that possibility." Was I just meant to make Lilith fall to sin? Was that why he made me work with her and Adam?

As questions whirled through my mind, Lilith gently held my hands in hers, "I'm fine with that."

I looked at her in shock, "What do you mean? God tricked us into disobeying him."

She smiled softly, "I mean that my love for you is realer than any plot or lie that we have been told. I would never regret meeting you. No matter the circumstances."

I leaned in and kissed her softly. I have her, and maybe she is all I need to get through this.