1 // First Day

"It'll be okay babe," my mom assured me as we pulled up to my new school. We just recently moved here. My father is in the ARMY and we are constantly moving around the States because of his job. He doesn't live with us, but he tries to see us as much as possible. My mother and I currently live in El Paso, Texas. There was a house on the market for a fair amount of money here. It was the closest house we could get. It's a few hours away from the base where my father lives, but it could be worse.

I nod my head and reply with slight hesitation. "Alright. You're picking me up... Right?"

She let out a deep breath before telling me, "honey, you know I have to work until nine. I'm sorry. But you could always take the bus." Oh yeah, by the way, my mom has one of those jobs where she can do it in any city. She's a lawyer. She's always so busy. Sometimes, she even does business trips. She'll leave for about a month at a time and then she'll come back. Some of her clients really like her so they ask her back if they're ever in any trouble again. It sucks because I already don't get to see my dad, let alone my mom.

I bit my lip, unsure of how to react. It's five minute drive from my new house to here. So lets make that a what- an hour walk? Crap. "Whatever," I quickly replied, getting out of my mom's car and shutting the door.  I got out of the parking lot and onto school grounds. I looked up. Austin High School, Home of the Panthers, is what it said. 

I nervously walked up to the door after smoothing out my outfit. I definitely was not accustomed to the heat. I didn't even want to wear a dress, my mom made me. She wanted me to make a good impression to the teachers. She doesn't even care if I have friends or not. Just good grades, apparently. I made my way through the doors the see the hallways half full. I went to my assigned locker, since my mom came here yesterday and got everything I needed, including my schedule, and saw a girl there. She had sandy blonde hair that was kept down. It went to her mid-back area. Her figure was slim, like mine. She looked athletic. I wonder what, if any, sport she played. I didn't get to see the rest of her because a boy came up to her and started a make out session with her, I'm guessing, and, quite frankly hoping, that that's her boyfriend. I felt as if I was intruding so I quickly got everything I needed from my locker, which consisted of my English book, which was what I had first period, and set off in search of my classroom. While I was walking, somebody bumped into me. I looked up, about to say sorry, but was beat to it. 

"Watch it newbie," a tall guy exclaimed.  His hair was swept to the side, the right actually, and it was dark brown. His eyes were a shocking green. You usually don't see brunettes with green eyes, so this was an occasion. He had black skinnys on and a black and white striped Hollister T-shirt. He was actually very attractive, but with that kind of attitude, his looks went down the drain.

I arched one of my eyebrows and replied with, "excuse you, but you bumped into me, thank you very much."

The guy glared at me, I guess expecting me to be scared of him? Of course I wasn't and me being me, I said that aloud.

"What? Am I supposed to be scared of you or something? Because I'm not."

He looked at me as if I was something unearthly. "Did I say that? No, now get out of my way," he ordered.

"Rude," I mumbled as he pushed passed me. I scoffed, but continued walking to my classroom. The last thing I need is to be in trouble for starting another fight. Yes, I said another. When people bother me,  I don't take too kindly of it. I've honestly lost count of how many fights I've been in, but I shockingly have never been expelled. I think it's because I usually had the highest GPA in the school. I'm a smart-alec. Smart as in book-smart and just a smart-alec in general. I get on people's nerves and I love it. Sarcasm is life, honestly.

But this is kind of a new start for me.

I'm trying not to start fights. I'm trying to be a normal girl, for once. I've actually had to take anger management classes before because of my anger. I get mad very easily, but I try to keep calm. But sometimes, I just can't. It's hard, let me tell you. I finally got to the classroom and took a seat in the very back. I took a look at the teacher. I looked at my schedule and saw that his name was Mr. Zavala. A few minutes later, a boy sat next to me. He had dirty blonde hair and green eyes. He had on a white and black snapback that said Obey on it, a tank top that said Diamond Supply Co., and beige khaki shorts.

"Oh great, a swag fag," I mumbled.

He glanced at me with furrowed brows. "Excuse me?"

I smiled. "You're excused," I told him.

"Witch," he muttered under his breath as he turned away from me. Okay, he didn't exactly said witch, but it's close enough to what he mumbled.

I just laughed. I can tell I'm gonna love it here. Making fun of people is what I do best, and it cracks the hell out of me. I try to do it as much as possible. I glanced back at him and saw a small smile form on his lips. Well more like a smirk, but whatever. I guess he thought I was joking or something because I laughed. Oh well. He turned back and faced me. "By the way, I recommend moving. Somebody already sits there and I suggest not getting on his nerves." After that, he glanced at the door as somebody was coming through. By now the class was pretty much filled and the only empty seat was in the very front of the class, right in front of the teacher's desk. No way in hell am I sitting there. The boy, specifically the boy that bumped into me in the hallway, was the one that the kid next to me was talking about. He came right up to me and stared me down.

I awkwardly stared back at him. "Can I help you," I asked in a creeped out voice.

"Get up," he said through gritted teeth. I put my hand on my chin, stroking my non-existent beard.

"How about, no?"

"That's my seat, now go sit somewhere else!" he barked.

I laughed and shook my head. By now, we had caused a scene, so the other students had their attention on us. Even the teacher. I looked around the desk. "Oh, I'm sorry, but I just can't seem to find a name anywhere on here." That caused multiple students to laugh. I shrugged. "I guess this isn't your seat after all. Bye now," I stated, looking to the front of the room.

"Mr. Madrid, just take a seat in the front. It's no big deal," Mr. Zavala told the boy. The kid, Madrid, or whatever, groaned and glared at me for a good minute before heading down toward the front of the class, where he took a seat at the only empty desk. I smiled in satisfaction as class started.

I peeked at the guy and my only thought was, 'well isn't someone a jerk'.