Chapter 33

"I'm sorry what? Shouldn't they, I don't know, explain why I'm stuck here? Not that I don't enjoy being here with you of course."

"You already know why you're here Cassandra."

"Yes, well, I reject the terms of my punishment given that they're complete nonsense", I point out, following him,  "and by the way, why did they mention a battle and my position in it if I'm stuck here? It's not like there can be a war down here."

Wait a minute.

"Right?" I halt right on the threshold of his office as the doubt sprouted in my mind.

I had never been in his office before and maybe that was another reason why I had paused before stepping in. I was kinda waiting for him to dismiss me or to stop me from walking in but as I watched him get lost in the sea of papers on his desk, I figured that it was okay for me to walk in. If someone would have asked me how I thought the office of the God of the dead would be, I don't know what I would have answered but I certainly didn't expect it to look like this.

When I think about Greek Gods, gold and white immediately come to mind. Also everything lavish, from the clothes they wear to the décor of their homes. Well, maybe the colours are not those that I would associate with Hades. Mostly black. And indeed, in his office black was the dominant theme. However, the dark shade of the furniture created a beautiful contrast with the light colour of the pavement, white marble, and the nude tint of the walls. Also, it was very minimalistic, everything in here is functional. Little to none décor.

Interesting. Was it maybe a kind of metaphor for him as a person? Well, the predominance of black doesn't really need an explanation. Everyone associated death with black, the void, because no one ever got back from it to tell the others how it is. To be fair, now that I'm thinking about it, there are also cultures in which white was the colour for death. So maybe that's what they stand for? Or perhaps, white represents that untold side of Hades, of the God not many had the courage to mention afraid of his position and what he stands for; that side that made him who he is, Hades and not the God of the dead. That side that it's almost untouched because he doesn't have a lot of people around with whom he can create a connection. Besides his wife.

His wife. Persephone.

Could the white represent her? Looking at him and going over in my head what I had learned about him, I can see how Hades would think of himself as tainted and bad while Persephone is the sweeter, purer one of the couple. That's how she's always portraited anyway and it's not like I can confirm or deny it since I have ever met her. When everything went down, and I woke up here it was the beginning of spring. So that's probably why she wasn't here. 

"No Cassandra, there won't ever be a war here. Not under my watch and luckily for you, I'm not planning on going anywhere." Hades reassures me with a slightly out of character sass, already seated in his black comfy armchair. 

Oh thank god or better, oh thank Hades. How does he manage to be so calm and collected in every situation I'll never understand.

"Did you attend a course?" I ask catching his attention. Now he's looking at me confused.

"A course?"

"Yes, to look like you always have anything under control, like nothing ever bothers you."

"An immortal life will do that to you. Now, I believe the best thing to do is to concentrate on what they said so that when it happens we can be prepared."

"Oh Mr H, what would I do without you."

Sending me a glare that basically meant "stop behaving like a child and be serious for once", he looked back at the paper on his desk. Right. Clearing my throat, I move around to get comfortable on the chair, getting into work mode.