Invitation

It's a breezy and  sunny day in Qing Qiu. Bai Qian is lazily relaxing on the hammock. Her brother, Bai Zhen, just gave her a new mortal love story that he picked up during his recent trip to the mortal realm. It's a tragic love story between a mortal and immortal. The title of the book is called  "Forbidden Love." She  just started reading the book since this morning. She found herself getting frustrated with the male lead character for keeping secrets to the female lead character about his real immortal identity. There were some parts in the story that would make her smile. She could feel happiness and love from the couple. The mortal female is so innocent and naive. She would believe the most ridiculous and lame excuses from her husband. Bai Qian realizes that she doesn't like the way that the male character would make every decisions for his mortal wife. Bai Qian found herself annoyed by what the immortal male said to his mortal wife "I tolerate people who are not smart." Bai Qian snorted at his remark. She is now at the part where he just returned back to his mortal wife after disappearing for six months. Yet, his mortal wife is still waiting for him in the same spot that he disappeared. Bai Qian now has mixed emotions towards the couple. She is mad at the immortal male for leaving without saying goodbye and also mad at the mortal woman for foolishly waiting for her husband to return. If it was her, she would not wait nor tolerate if she got abandoned by her love one in the same situation.

Suddenly, she feels Ye Hua's energy right beside her. She looks over her shoulder and sees him standing there. He smiles brightly at her.

He says "Good afternoon, Qian Qian. What are you reading?"

She says "I'm reading mortal love story. Bai Zhen just gave it to me."

Ye Hua now positions himself to sit next to her. He asks "How do you like it so far?"

She answers him "It's an interesting love story. I was in the middle of emotional roller coaster between the two main characters in the book. Then you just startled me with your appearance. What brought you here at this hour, Ye Hua?"

Ye Hua says "I just miss seeing you. I caught up with my work earlier today so I thought of coming to see you. Do you want to go to Zhe Yan's peach grove? Today would be a perfect day for picnic with some peach blossom wine. What do you think, Qian Qian?"

She hasn't been to Zhe Yan for a few months now. She kinda misses the wine there. Right now, his newly brewed wines should be ready for tasting.

She holds herself together and says " That is not a bad idea. I haven't had picnic in a very long time. It's a very nice suggestion, Ye Hua."

When they arrive at the peach grove, the grove is quiet as usual and there is no sight of Zhe Yan. Ye Hua decides to take Bai Qian for a leisurely walk through the grove. Once they arrive at the Jade Pond in the further south of the grove, they settle down at the table in front of the pond. Ye Hua put out a light lunch that he prepared. He prepared some sweet chili roasted peanuts to snack with wine, steamed meat buns, mixed fruits & nuts and the centerpiece which is peach blossom wine from Zhe Yan. Ye Hua did come back to the grove after the first visit a month ago to get some of Zhe Yan's wine. Though he doesn't drink wine, he thought at that time that it would be nice to have some of Zhe Yan's wine handy in case Bai Qian wants some.

Ye Hua says "Qian Qian, I made some light snacks for you. You can eat these while drinking wine and enjoying the view here."

Bai Qian is very surprised and touched by Ye Hua's thoughtfulness. She says thank you and tries the sweet chili roasted peanuts. They taste so good. The peanuts are lightly roasted with the light fragrance of sesame oil, the right amount of saltiness & sweetness , the spiciness from the chili is just right with just enough heat.

She says to Ye Hua "Ye Hua, these roasted peanuts are so good. You never cease to amaze me at your cooking skill." She smiles at him warmly.

Ye Hua feels great and happy at her comment. She loves his cooking. He will make time to cook more for her. It seems like he has found a way to Bai Qian's heart.

Ye Hua wants to bring up the question to her. He has been feeling nervous the entire day today. Not sure how he would bring it up. That was why he wanted to take a slow walk with her throughout the grove. He needed to calm his nerves down. Right now, Bai Qian seems very happy and enjoys her wine and snacks. He decides that it's time to bring the topic to her attention.

He asks "Qian Qian, do you have any plans in the next 2 weeks?"

She looks at him and says "Not at a moment. What's on your mind, Ye Hua?"

He sighs and then says "In two weeks, there will be a birthday celebration for my son, A Li. I would like to invite you to Nine Heaven. Would you like to attend?"

Bai Qian is startled by his question. He's asking her to visit Nine Heaven for his son's birthday. Though she's fully aware that he has a son from his illegitimate marriage with his deceased mortal wife, somehow the name A Li sounds familiar and brings a tinge of sadness to her. It's like she has heard and knows this name before.

Ye Hua is holding his breaths while waiting for her answer. He notices she is thinking and her mind is not there with him. It's like she is in a deep thought and unawares of his presence. He is patiently waiting for her to come back to him. After a while, she comes back to the presence and looks at him deeply in his eyes.

She says "You want to invite me to your son's birthday?"

He was expecting worse from her. So, he's relief by her question.

He says "Yes Qian Qian. I want you to come. Your presence there would mean a lot for A Li."

She asks "How old will your son be?"

Ye Hua says "He will turn 50 years old in two weeks."

She says "Ok. I will be there for your son's birthday. What does he like?"

Ye Hua feels like a weight is lifted off his chest. He smiles brightly at her "Thank you Qian Qian. A Li will be so happy. He would be happy with anything you give him. You don't have to give him Qing Qiu pearl. He's too young to appreciate it. I think he would be happy if you play with him. His favorite game is hide and seek."

Bai Qian is shocked at Ye Hua's comment. She asks "Ye Hua, how do you know I would give A Li Qing Qiu pearl?"

Ye Hua laughs and says "There are talks among the deities about your gifting's habit. Small pearl for low status deity. Bigger pearl for higher status deity."

Bai Qian frowns "Is that what I am known for among the deities? Now, I don't know what to gift anymore for future's invites."

Ye Hua says "Don't worry about the gossips among the grapevines. Just be yourself and give them what you feel comfortable. You don't have to change your gifting habit."

She is happy at Ye Hua's encouragement. He's right about A Li being too young to appreciate the pearl. She will think of something to give to A Li for his birthday. She finds herself looking forward to the birthday celebration. This is a little strange for her since she doesn't like big social gathering. She still feels there is something about the name A Li that makes her want to get to know him.