Fragmented Memory

Bai Qian has been thinking hard about the gift for A Li. She has never known that giving present to a child is that difficult. She remembers about her niece Feng Jiu. She didn't struggle whenever it comes to giving Feng Jiu a gift for her birthday. Being raised mostly by her, Feng Jiu is influenced by her aunt. She's not materialistic. She values experience in life over material things. Every year on her birthday, Bai Qian would take her to different town in the mortal realm. Feng Jiu loves the mortal realm and would always make sure to remind Bai Qian in advance. One year, Feng Jiu even did a research on her own and wanted Bai Qian to take her there for her birthday.

Bai Qian sighs "I didn't know giving gift is that difficult."

Bai Zhen happened to hear Bai Qian's self complaining when he just arrived at the Main Hall inside the Fox Den.

Bai Zhen asks "Xiao Wu, why giving gift is now difficult for you? Aren't you always giving out Qing Qiu pearls?"

Bai Qian's so happy to hear her Fourth brother's voice. She says "Fourth brother, I'm so glad you are here. It's for Ye Hua's son, A Li."

Bai Zhen says "I think you should first talk to A Li to find out what he likes. Plus, he's Ye Hua's son so I think A Li is a simple little kid."
———————————————————————————
Two weeks has passed and today is A Li's birthday. Ye Hua comes to Qing Qiu to take Bai Qian to Nine Heaven. When he arrived, Bai Qian had already dressed in a turquoise silk dress with flowing chiffon ribbons. He likes her style of dressing. It's simple yet complements her elegant features.

To her amazement, Xi Wu palace is not gaudy. It's simple and reflects the owner's personality. Ye Hua takes her for a walk through a long pathway. They have to pass the lotus pond before reaching the Beautiful Youth Hall. While walking through the lotus pond, she felt a sense of familiarity when her hands touched the bridge balcony. There was a sudden pain in her heart that caused her to stop midway and clenched her other hand. Ye Hua noticed her change in behavior. He's worried but he remained quiet and soothed her back to calm her down. After she had calmed down, he took her into his arm by surprised. He holds her close to his chest then cloud jumps both of them to Beautiful Youth Hall. He puts her down once they are inside. She takes in her surrounding. There is also a feeling of familiarity here just like at the bridge. Bai Qian feels uncomfortable and sadness energy within this building. The negative energy here is so strong that it makes her head hurt. She is slightly staggering by the negative energy around her. Ye Hua was able to catch her when she swayed a little. He took her to the bed and made her sit down. He sat next to her and couldn't hide his concern.

Ye Hua asks "Qian Qian, are you feeling alright? You look unwell. Is there something that make you feel uneasy here?"

Bai Qian doesn't know how to express what she feels to him. She decides to just tell him truthfully what makes her uneasy. Maybe he would be able to help.

She says " Ye Hua, I've got this uneasy feeling of familiarity about this place and the bridge. This is my first time here at Nine Heaven. Yet, the touch at the bridge and the residual sadness energy that I feel here just make me feel vulnerable. All I know that I don't like this feeling of being scared. I know it sound awful to tell you this. But that is how I feel and it scares me, Ye Hua."

Her confession makes his heart pain with sadness and guilt. Despite not having a memory from her mortal trial, Bai Qian is now haunted by the feeling of her past. It's his fault, his incapability to protect her when she was Su Su.

Ye Hua soothes her back and says "Qian Qian, it's ok. If you don't like the energy here, you can stay at Zichen Hall with me."

Bai Qian asks "Will it be ok? We are not yet married. How's about I stay with A Li?"

Ye Hua wants Bai Qian to stay with him. However, Nine Heaven is full of strict protocols. He thinks about his son who does not know the warm touch of his mother since birth. Letting Qian Qian stay with A Li is a great opportunity for mother and son bonding.

Ye Hua answers "You are right, Qian Qian. Perhaps, staying with A Li is a better idea. Let me take you to see him. He would be happy to see you."

They left Beautiful Youth Hall and walked to A Li's Qingyun Hall. They see that A Li is playing with marbles outside in the courtyard. A Li is happy to see his father and runs toward him.

A Li says "Bàba."

Ye Hua smiles and picks A Li up. He gives A Li kisses on his chubby cheeks. A Li smiles happily.

Nai Nai is shocked when she sees Bai Qian coming toward her and A Li. She rushes out and bows at Bai Qian.

She cries happily "My Lady, I have been waiting for you. You are truly coming back. The souls gathering lamp is indeed magical. My Lady looks the same. I have missed you so much."

Bai Qian is taken by surprised at the maid's reaction. She takes a step back and pats at Nai Nai's shoulder.

Bai Qian says "Please get up. I'm not your Lady. I'm Bai Qian of Qing Qiu."

Ye Hua says "Nai Nai, why don't you go prepare some hot tea for her highness?"

Ye Hua has been holding little A Li. He now puts A Li down.

Ye Hua speaks softly to A Li " A Li, this is your mother."

Bai Qian bends down to pat A Li's forehead tenderly. She accidentally drops her mirror which then reflects a strong light at her. A thin white strip comes up to cover her eyes immediately.

After her return from the fight with Qing Cang, her eyesights became worse. Strong lights blind and hurt her eyes. Her father, Bai Zhi, went to Rejuvenating River in the Far East of Qing Qiu near the Ghost Realm in order to obtain the material. The Rejuvenating River is an underground river that run through a deep cave that is pit black. The cave is called the gate to hell by the local. Inside the cave, there is an ancient silk floss tree that had been there for millennia. The tree locates in the middle of the cave where there is an opening just big enough for natural light to get in. The silk inside the seed pods can be woven into fabric. The tree has special healing power due to the sacred underground river. It's not an easy task to get to the silk floss tree.

A Li looks curiously at Bai Qian with the white strip covers her eyes. He then cries and runs toward Bai Qian. He says "Mama".

Bai Qian doesn't know how to react at A Li's sudden change in behavior. She doesn't know how to deal with a crying toddler.

She talks sweetly to him "Little Dumpling, don't cry. I have sweet loquat candy. All children in Qing Qiu love it."

Bai Qian takes out a handful of Qing Qiu loquat lollipops and gives to A Li. She unwraps one lollipop for him. His crying now stops and he happily accepts the lollipop from Bai Qian.

*** Bàba = similar to Dada