The Painful Prologue

Lemony Snicket's POV

When you think of family, I'm sure the first picture that pops into your head is a husband, a wife, and a child or two. That was the exact picture that belonged to a certain child named Y/N. Her last name remains unknown for the time being. 

Her father was a musician of a hotel and her mother was a scientist. I was...particularly close with that family.  We all volunteered together. You may or may not find out if you read further into this tragic tail that will soon connect to the case of the Baudelaires. But, for now this story is about Y/N.

The case of Y/N Doe (used in the context of John/Jane Doe) is quite the sad one. The poor girl came home to school one day to her house in flames. Her parents and little brother inside....

The first thing that came to Y/N's mind was to go and try to save them. Running inside, horror had filled her eyes as she laid her eyes on her father, who was on fire. The screams of her mother and little brother not far off.

Third Person POV

"Father!" Y/N screams, tears running down her face.
"Y/N! Get out of here!" her father shouts.
"No! We need to get out of here together!" Y/N shouts, outstretching her arm to her father.
"Y/N, please! Save yourself! Learn the truth of the flame!" her father shouts. He threw something to her. Y/N picked it up without looking at it and placed it in the her jacket pocket. Her father then collapsed into a pile of burning attire no one could make out. 
"Father no!" Y/N screamed. She went to run to her father, but a block of burning wood came crashing down, blocking the path between her and her father. She could still hear the screams of her brother and mother from another room.  She found her brothers stuffed bunny and picked it up, putting it in her bag before running towards the room. 

Y/N ran from the study she was just in, before she could reach the room, she fell down and hit her head knocking her out

As Y/N knocked herself out, a figure appeared from behind the smoke. A man with grey hair, a single eyebrow, and a tattoo of an eye on his ankle. 
"Stupid child," the man said, picking her up bridal style any carrying her out of the house before the roof of the home caved in, killing anything and everything that lived inside of it. 

*time skip*

Y/N found herself in a dirty room with a single bed and a window in the shape of an eye. 
"Wh-where am I?" she said to herself, wincing due to her head injury.
"Wh-who am I?" she asked herself. Right on cue, the man that had taken her hostage had barged in through the door along with a crew of 
"Ah! You're awake. You may be asking yourself 'where am I?' and/or 'who am I?'. Lucky for you I can answer those questions. But, unlucky for you one of those questions are not relevant."
Y/N, scrunched her face in both confusion and anger. 
"Your name is no longer relevant in this house hold. Your name will be changed. Your name is now Kitty Olaf..." the man smirked. 
"Now come Kitty! I need someone to rub my feet! They're exhausted from carrying you from your burned-down house. I mean...the living room..." 
"My head hurts," Y/N said, rubbing her head. 
"Deal with it! Now come rub my feet!" the man yelled impatiently. 
"Boss, I think she needs rest before any food-rubbing," said a man with hooks for hands. 
"--No! She rested for more than enough from that concussion! I want a foot rub!" the man said.
"Can I have a glass of water?" Y/N asked. 
"Ugh fine! Make it snappy, Kitty! Hooky! Get this orphan water!" the man yelled.
"Yes, boss!" said the man with hooks for hands before leaving the room. 
"It won't be long before I can get my hands on the orphans diamonds and then I will be rich!"
"We," said a rather tall man with no hair. 
"Yes, I meant we," the man said. 

The man with the hook hands came back with a glass of water who gave it to Y/N, who gulped it down in less than five seconds. 
"There, are you better now?" the man asked. The meek girl nodded. 
"Great! Get up! I am ready for my foot rub!" the man said, triumphantly. 

The girl got up slowly, holding her head as she did so. She followed the group outside the room, down the creaky and dusty staircase. She held on to the railing to keep her balance. 

Lemony Snicket's POV

If you're familiar with the tales of Cinderella and  Rapunzel you might find Y/N's story quite similar to them. A princess gets taken from her family by an evil witch. In this case, the princess is Y/N and Count Olaf is the Evil Witch.

 Where the tale of Cinderella comes in is that there is a princess who is made to do chores for her stepmother and stepsister. In Y/N's case, she is made to do many awful chores for the wicked Count Olaf. You may hope that a fairy godmother of sorts would come and save her from this repulsive man. I'm afraid this is not the story with the ending you were hoping for. No, it gets much worse. As soon as Y/N realizes she wasn't where she was supposed to be, Count Olaf kept her isolated in a spare room upstairs and wasn't allowed to come down unless she was doing chores or preparing dinner for Count Olaf and his troupe. 

There isn't much detail that describes the awful year Y/N had spent with Count Olaf. Besides the fact that she had been beaten by the man so many times, she now has a scar on the back of her left hand from an incident that involved a knife and a certain man's temper that is as short as his ego. 

Before we move on to the story of the Baudelaires, I forgot to mention the object that Y/N's father had thrown to her before he collapsed into the fire. Well, one day, Y/N had found it while straightening her room. She felt the need to keep it hidden, and to that she was correct. 
She thought it was just a regular telescope, not knowing the true secrets of the spyglass...

It is now close to the time where Y/N and the Baudelaires stories become one. But, before we do, there's one other small detail I forgot to mention. Not long before a terrible fire that hit the home of three specific children, Y/N had come across a newspaper in the study of Count Olaf. The information that was put onto the newspaper had been scratched out. But, there was one thing that did stick out to Y/N as she skimmed the page. She merely saw a picture of herself, her face scratched out from her picture. But, she new that that person in the picture was her. And three other figures were in the picture as well. A man, woman, and a little boy around the age of two was shown with their faces scratched out as well. The title was scratched out as well. Well...most of it. 

***** Family Perished In Fire

Y/N wondered why the first part was scratched out. She knew Count Olaf was hiding something and she hoped to investigate....and she would.  But, she wouldn't like what she would hear. 

Not long after discovering the paper, the Count and his troupe had come bursting through the doors.
"--Kitty! Clean the house! We're having guests!" the count smirked evilly. 

And now the story of the Baudelaires....