The Bad Beginning Part 1

Lemony Snicket's POV

If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book. Inthis book, not only is there no happy ending, there is no happy beginning and very few happy things in themiddle. My name is Lemony Snicket. It is my solemn duty to bring to light the sorry history of the Baudelaire children as it happened so many years ago. But you in the audience have no such obligation, and I would advise all our viewers to turn away immediately and watch something more pleasant instead. This story will be dreadful, melancholy and calamitous, a word which here means "dreadful and melancholy." That is because not very many happy things happened in the lives of the Baudelaires. 

Violet, Klaus and Sunny were intelligent children. Charming and resourceful, they had pleasant facial features, but they were extremely unlucky. Most everything that happened to them was rife with misfortune, misery and despair. I'm sorry to tell you this... but that's how the story goes.

*shows the Baudelaires going to Briny Beach on rickety trolly*

When Briny Beach was hot and sunny, the seashore was crowded with tourists and it was impossible to find a good place to lay one's blanket. On gray and cloudy days, the Baudelaires had the beach more or less to themselves, so they could work together on their projects and experiments.

Violet Baudelaire was the eldest Baudelaire child. She was 14 years old, right-handed, had a real knack for inventing and building unusual devices. When Violet Baudelaire tied her hair up like that *Violet puts hair into ribbon* , it was a sure sign that the pulleys, levers and gears of her inventing mind were working at top speed.

Klaus Baudelaire was the middle child and only boy. He was a little older than 12 and wore glasses, which made him look intelligent. He was intelligent.

Sunny Baudelaire was an infant, a word which here means "a person of the age at which one mostly speaks in a series of unintelligible shrieks," so most people had trouble understanding what she was saying. What Sunny lacked in communication skills, however, she made up for with the size and sharpness of her four teeth.

*shows Sunny Baudelaire biting and shaping a rock an Violet throwing the rock, making it skip infinite times. 

"Klaus, what's that thing Einstein said?" asked Violet Baudelaire.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science," answered Klaus Baudelaire.
"And what's that thing James Brown said?" Violet asked.
"I got something that makes me want to shout," answered Klaus

I've got something that tells me what it's all about."

The device Violet Baudelaire invented had worked, bringing the rock back and dropping it into her hand. 
"I'm super bad!" Violet and Klaus Baudelaire said in unison, smiling to one another.

Yes, the invention worked. This would be a perfect time to leave and pretend the rest of the story was just as happy and successful.

Certainly, I wish I could go back and change the history of the Baudelaires at this very moment rather than the descent into misery, tribulation and...dire inconvenience which will occur shortly.

I have spent months of research and years crying myself to sleep, trying to discover the precise cause of the Baudelaire fire. But... all my associates and I have managed to learn is that neither the official fire department nor the volunteer fire department arrived in time to stop the blaze. And within moments, the entire Baudelaire mansion was engulfed in flames. It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus and Sunny felt in the time that followed. If you have ever lost somebody very important to you, then you already know how it feels. And if you haven't...you cannot possibly imagine it.