seven

chapter seven - forest

Maybe, I thought bitterly as I trotted around the forest, searching for any sign of the clothes that I had sat on a rock before I turned into my animagus, Maybe leaving them on a rock in the middle of a clearing wasn't such a great idea. 

I had been out here since my last class yesterday. I had gone for a walk, going deep into the forest, before I decided that I wanted to relive that feeling from when I was young and run through the forest for a little while. I found a clearing with a large rock beside where I came in and got undressed. 

If I had turned into an animagus, my clothes wouldn't tear, but they would certainly get dirty, and I couldn't go back to the castle with muddy clothes on. 

I know that they were here

My front paws were on the rock, and I was whining, low and quiet. I had never been more worried than I was at that moment. If I couldn't find the clothes, I would have to go back to the castle as an animagus - because I certainly couldn't do it in my underwear. 

Someone would notice a massive white wolfdog walking through the castle. 

I'd been looking all night, took a nap on the rock when I became tired, and then continued looking. I was lucky not to dream at all, but that was most likely because of the fact that I was in my animagus form. 

They were nowhere to be found and I was starting to panic. 

What the hell did my girls think? It had been an entire night, I wasn't at dinner, and I wasn't at breakfast. Esme was probably worried as hell, since I told her about thinking of Hope for an entire night, that I was struggling with my grief. 

One of the girls, or Remus, must have checked my classroom, my office, my quarters, and likely the entire castle for me. 

I was more worried that Remus assumed what would be his worst-case scenario, either Sirius kidnapped or killed me, or I went looking for him. 

That was the last thing that I would do, go looking for Sirius. 

Besides, he was probably still in England. 

Or not.

I knew that scent. It blew below my nose as the wind rustled the trees and leaves. The scent trail almost immediately seemed to appear in front of me, and as I sniffed the air, I felt drawn to it. 

Of course, I felt drawn to it. It was Sirius' scent, and even when we were 15 years old, my animagus was drawn to his like fucking magnets. 

Did he -?

The moment that the thought crossed my mind, I was running, following that scent trail. If he had taken my clothes, I would rip his tail off. 

Maybe not actually, since he was almost twice my size, but I would be infuriated. 

The idea infuriated me. 

 It didn't take very long for me to realize where the scent trail was taking me, and in all truth, I was completely unsurprised. Of all the places for him to hide near Hogwarts, of course, it was here. 

What would I do with this information? 

If I told Albus, he would send the Dementors, no matter how much I pleaded. If I told Remus, he would tell Albus, and the same thing would happen. I would never tell the girls where to find their father, Esme and Aubrey would flock there the first chance they got.

But was it smart to keep the information to myself?

If anyone found out, I would likely be sent to Azkaban, but how would they find out?