fifteen

chapter fifteen - francine

Once we were in the classroom they spread out, and I got a good count of exactly how many were there. Seventeen.

"So, I take it you've all been the subject of my visions?"

"Do you remember us?"

"It's hard to forget a face once you've seen them die, so yes. Some of you were very young, but... there is no forgetting. What's this all about anyway?"

"We wanted to thank you."

"Some of us," I assumed this to be Destiny's mother. Her arm was tightly wrapped around the young girl's shoulders, "Owe our families to you. Had you not saved me, I wouldn't have been alive to bring my girl into this world."

"I wouldn't have my son if you hadn't saved my husband. His name was Henry, mine is Diane. He died a few months ago, but I never would have met him. He lived in Penley with his family. His older sister kept herself and their other two sisters alive after their father was murdered. He told me the story of how you swooped in and saved them when he proposed to me. Said that he owed you his life, that you were the best thing that happened to him because you led him to me. He always said he wanted to meet you, to thank you for saving him and his sisters, but... cancer is a devil."

"I'm really sorry. Are his sisters doing well?"

"We are," The tall girl standing beside Diane smiled widely. I immediately recognized her as the eldest sister. On her left was one of the other sisters, the youngest. I couldn't help but smile, "My other sister, Olive, couldn't come. She's having a baby soon, a little boy, and can't travel. I - my name is Mona - have a daughter, and a son, and my sister here, Emma, has a son. My husband is alive because of you too, but he had to work. You saved him and his sister after their mother died. Sent him to the Longbottom family, where they stayed for a few weeks before being placed with the family that ended up adopting them. I hadn't known our connection until my husband said he wanted to name our son Regulus."

"He named... Really? The interaction those two had wasn't the best."

"He said that had the Death Eaters there that night not been Regulus and... he doesn't remember the other one, that you would have died. Right?"

"Yeah. Regulus was a friend of mine, he became an informant right after that. Sadly he died a few months later, but he died for a good cause. Had it been any others, I would certainly have either been killed or captured and tortured. I presume that would have meant that he and his sister would have died too."

"That's how he sees it, so he named our son Regulus. He's four now, our daughter is seven. If you hadn't save both of us... they wouldn't be here."

"I wouldn't be here if you didn't save my mother."

"Who was she?"

"You saved her and my cousin, as well as five other children," I realized who this is. One of my worst days early on. I accidentally killed someone that day while saving a high-ranking Ministry official and her niece. This was the official's daughter, "She constantly talked about you, and I know she'd be here with me but... like Diane said, cancer is a devil."

"I'm sorry to hear that. She was a wonderful witch. How is your cousin?"

"She's very good actually. She has two daughters, twins actually. One is named Emia, while the other is named Mina."

"My mother and I, correct?"

"I assume that's a pattern between a lot of us. I was there when your family fought off two Death Eaters that had killed two of my friends," One of the orphanage fires. My family had gotten there a few minutes after the Death Eaters. They had killed the two children outside moments before we'd gotten there. While we fought them off, my dad slipped away to pull the bodies of the two children out of the way of the duel. He then helped plan their funerals, "Your father had made sure that their bodies were safe, planned and paid for their funerals since, of course, they had no family. I named my son Fleamont."