Fragment of a Merman (IV)

"What's wrong?"

Hai Hung walked in with a cup of warm water. He had boiled the seawater and dripped a few drops of his blood inside water, just in case. Li Biming caught sight of the small cut on Hai Hung's finger and the foggy cup of water in his hand and he instantly knew that his hubby was being overly concerned again.

"Hung-gege, I'm fine now." Li Biming tried to reassure him that he was out of the danger zone (for now).

"Here, drink some water." Hai Hung helped Li Biming sit up and put the cup near his mouth. As Hai Hung watched him slowly sip the water, his eyes wandered to Li Biming's cute lips, causing him to reminisce about its softness. Realizing his dirty thoughts, Hai Hung shook his head to clear his mind.

"Xiao Ming... Did you know that I wasn't a human..?" Hai Hung cautiously asked.

Humans were not kind creatures; at least, that's what every merperson said. However, Hai Hung believed that one could not just judge a book by its cover, no matter how different they were from the rest. Hai Hung's mother was human. She used to tell him all kinds of amazing things that she would see and experience on land. She told him that there were these flowers called roses which you would give to your loved ones. She also told him that there were various types of dishes made from animals such as chickens, cows, and pigs. Hai Hung dreamed of going to the surface and experiencing all the wonderful things his mother had told him about.

But being born into the royal family forced him to suppress his desires and be obedient. Although his mother could only stay on land and visit him once a month, he was never lonely. That's because he had his step-sister. His step-sister would always accompany him when nobody else would. His step-mother and step-brother didn't care for him. Instead, they disdained his very existence, treating him as a thorn in their path. However, Hai Hung did not want the throne; his dream was not to rule the seven seas, nor was it to have the sea trident. His dream was to travel on land, to visit many places above water and to try various foods.

When he became 15, he finally managed to escape the royal palace with his step-sister's help and arrive on land. He wanted to find his mother who hadn't visited him for the past few months. He hid his hair and eyes under a long brown robe and asked around if anyone knew a blonde-haired and amber-eyed lady in her thirties. But when he finally discovered news of her, he only felt pain and agony knowing that his mother committed suicide due to endless nights of loneliness and jealousy.

In despair, Hai Hung went back to the palace, hoping to seek comfort from his step-sister. However, it seemed like misfortune came in twos, not ones. Just when he entered the kingdom gates, he was pushed down and arrested. Demanding a reason, the officers who cuffed him said, "You are guilty of committed regicide and is therefore under arrest until further notice."

Thrown inside the cold jail cell. Hai Hung cried alone in the darkness, with no one by his side. Suddenly, Hai Hung heard his step-sister, Hai Qianyu, calling to to him from outside the bars. She planned to bring him out, telling him that she would help him escape to land, getting him out of this hellhole. Grabbing onto this last glimmer of hope, Hai Hung agreed and escaped from Atlantis.

However, when he got on land, he was immediately ambushed by a group of hunters. With no time to spare, Hai Hung escaped and was saved by this beautiful child known as Li Biming. Hai Hung wasn't dumb, he had long suspected his step-sister for the hunters' appearance. After all, how could he just happen to coincidentally bump into a group of 'wandering' hunters right after coming onto the surface? Not only that, they looked prepared to capture him, already surrounding the area where he came up from. But a small part of him hoped that wasn't true. He didn't wish to face the possibility that his step-sister, the only person who has accompanied him when he was lonely, betrayed him and sold him out.

That's why he was cautious; he still hasn't confirmed his step-sister's betrayal and was on the edge with all these hunters trying to capture him. He just didn't want to doubt anyone anymore.

Silence enveloped the house, only the sound of waves rolling onto the beach was heard.

"En... I knew that Hung-gege. But Xiao Ming won't tell anyone because Xiao Ming knows those bad big brothers will try and take Hung-gege away from me! Xiao Ming doesn't want that!"

Li Biming changed his words to make himself sound sweeter and adorable, hoping this could help his hubby feel less lonely and more loved.

Hai Hung gazed into Li Biming's clear and starry pupils which had a slight golden lining. It was probably because he had been isolated since childhood and that he had a scheming step-mother and brother, causing him to be aware of many details when observing others. This made it relatively easy for Hai Hung to discover other people's true intentions. By observing one's body language, he noticed many things he found worth suspecting of doing. Not only that, their speech and mannerism towards him also contribute to how he is able to see right through them.

However, this child in front of showed no fear, only innocence and pure love, towards him. Hai Hung felt embarrassed for doubting such an honest and ignorant child. Yet with that embarrassment came a unbridled sense of joy and happiness. He felt useful and loved, glad that someone still needed him and wanted him to stay by their side.

"Thank you Xiao Ming, Hung-gege will stay by your side too."

Hai Hung hugged Li Biming tightly in his arms, not caring about the cup that had tipped over and wet his clothes. Vowing in his heart, he would treat the child in arms to the best things in this world; he will never make him suffer from anything every again! (A/N: deja vu anyone?)
.
.
.
.
.
___________________

A/N: I'm sorry for this info dump, next chapter will have more action (。•̀ᴗ-)✧

Oh, I should mention that they're still children (well only one of them has the mental capacity of an adult) so Hai Hung only believes that his love for Li Biming is brotherly love, not romantic (yet). I might make Hai Hung 'trick' Li Biming into drinking blood cpr style again ಡ ͜ ʖ ಡ