Chapter 4

Jonathan

I have accomplished my first step; I can see her every morning and afternoon since they are traveling with me now. I don't know what's happening to me, feel sick and insane, thinking about her. A desire to be around her is strongly making its space in my life.

I know for the fact that we both are on the opposite side of the world when it comes to social status, and the fact, Nancy does not fit in the profile of my desires, she is totally not my type. Until yesterday, I would have said even if she was the last woman left on the earth, I may not choose her.

I secretly have followed her on social media, visiting schools often for a glimpse of her and now picking and dropping her. For the fact, if she looks at any male with a smile, it angers me.

Nancy

As per program circulated in the early months of the commencement of studies, it was stated that on a fifth month of the calendar, the sponsors will take the students to camp at their business sites for 5 days, sponsors will accompany them to the sites and be with them. Jonathan, as he is very protective of his sister and Charlotte, he offered to go; he was given the privilege to choose his team, he chose 20 students, that included me, Harry and Julie. We were going to a site located on the hills, for a week. I packed my bags, ready to go with the team this morning.

The vehicle arrived after picking all the students, James was the driver of the minibus. The journey was good, students were singing and playing, I saw Jonathan for the first time laughing and telling jokes.

However, his eyes always checked me out. The time on the bus, he sat with me, his legs were brushing onto mine, as the bus moved, I could feel his warmth and was squashed between the window and him. He did not seem to notice it anyway.

At the destination, we all assembled at the foyer and the rooms were allocated as per the team leaders, some girls wanted to share the villa with Jonathan, but he insisted in staying with the three allocated together, i.e. me, Charlotte and Janice.

I was not feeling very good about this however, I didn't want to spoil the trip. Harry was not too happy with this arrangement, he wanted me to stay with them, but Charlotte insisted me to stay with them. Eventually, Harry and Julie had no choice but to accept to stay together with the other two students.

Every day was filled with activities and fun. In the night, we sat in our villa, playing cards and told stories that also included horror stories. I played along listening very calmly not giving any indication to the three of them that I am one scared person.

One night, I got up thirsty, I checked the water bottle in the room, it was empty, and so I went to the kitchen to fill water. As soon as I opened my bedroom door, I saw Jonathan sleeping on the couch; I felt he might wake up when I pass him, so I did not go, slowly tiptoed back and softly closed the door of my room.

I did not want to face him alone. While sleeping his looked more handsome, his chest was rising up and down, soundlessly, peacefully sleeping. God, how much I would have wanted to have those strong arms around me. With a jolt, I tapped at the back of my head and said wake up sleepy head, there you go again craving for something which is beyond your reach.

Next morning, after getting dressed, I went and sat in the common lounge, Jonathan appeared with the cup of coffee, he had two cups in his hands, he forwarded one cup to me, I looked at him and asked is that for me? He said yes, I said I did not ask for it, he said it's okay, he felt that I needed one.

Out of good mannerism, I said thank you and took the cup. He smiled and sat in front of me, I don't know why he keeps doing that to me. Why does he have to sit in front of me? While I was busy seeping the coffee and reading the current task list, I heard him say, why did you go back in your room when you were coming to the kitchen with the empty bottle yesterday, when you wanted to come to the kitchen why didn't you come.

I looked at him and said I did not want to disturb you, plus you had been so tired from the day. He smiled and it was like a pleasure to him to hear that I care.

Jonathan moved closer and whispered, are you scared of me, I know for sure, I don't bite unless you ask me to. My body stiffened, I could feel myself blushing and I took courage to look at him and said, why should I be scared of you, he turned and asked are you sure. I did not say anything and continued with the coffee. His shoulder was so broad, as he stooped over to whisper, his shoulders touched mine, I felt butterflies in my stomach and for a moment struggled to breathe. He said let's go.

It was a very long and tiring day for us today, we visited two sites. Students observed, noted and discussed. I was also very busy and asking lots of questions to Jonathan and he was patiently listening and answering.

After having light lunch at the second site, I went to wash my hands, as I was coming out, a boy crosses from the kitchen and says hello Nancy, I greeted him and asked him if I can help you.

This guy's name is Robert, he is one of the tour guides from the company, he was with us throughout the journey. He wanted to make friends with me, he told me that he finds me amusing and I was very alert and attentive in the field trips.

As he extended his hand for a formal introductory handshake, Jonathan appears on his side and with a rough voice, growled at him saying, what are you doing?

Robert pulls his hand away and explained that he finds me to be amusing. Jonathan steers me away from him, holding my elbow and said, stay away from them, he muttered under his breath that he knows these guys, they must have placed a bet among themselves.

I turned with face burning red in anger and said do you do it too. He looked at me with a stern face and said no. This time his eyes were cold, sent shivers in my body. Several times during the day after the incident, I observed Jonathan telling Robert something and by observing his body language that it did not seem business. This was beginning to worry me.

Hope Robert is not undergoing any pressure from Jonathan. However, I carried on with the day activity, finding Jonathan always beside me, handing me over bottle of water, or juice or snacks. Stands so close to me that I feel buried under his height and built.

A whole week passed, I started feeling normal with Jonathan, knowing that nothing can or will happen between us; one, because he is filthy rich, two, because he is very handsome and three I am from a third world completely.

Hence during the camping, we became friends and he started sharing and doing things together as a team. On Saturday, we were all home feeling exhausted and tired. Most of Saturday afternoon, I was in my room, resting and studying. Did not go down for dinner, had a quite snacking in my bedroom.