Chapter 6

Saturday night was a nightmare, I could not sleep, kept turning and twisting on my bed half-awake, forcing myself to sleep. I was fighting within myself whether I should go to pick Jonathan.

The jealous thoughts flooded into my mind, thinking of Loraine and him together. The pain of thinking about the two together was enduring. The next morning, I told James that I will not go with him to the airport.

James insisted that Jonathan will not be happy and would get angry. He asked me, what is the reason because you had said yes to him when he asked. I told James that I have changed my mind. Looking at his watch, James left for the airport. He was not looking thrilled.

While sitting in church, I was praying, and thinking about Jonathan that will be exhausted after the travel, he might not come to church. I started imagining how Lorraine and Jonathan would have said their farewell at the airport or will she come with him.

These thoughts were heavy on my chest and a pot of jealousy leaped to a level; it was difficult to breathe.

Just then, I heard Jonathan's deep voice, greeting my aunt and others. I felt him taking his seat behind me and could feel his breath over my neck and his perfume filled in the air magically. My hands were trembling and knees shaking, I did not know what to do.

I was feeling hot suddenly I felt Harry's hand over mine and a whisper hey, honey he is back. I could have just disappeared under the ground if there was an opening. Slowly, I calmed down and set still looking ahead.

He also set and did not utter any word during the service. After the service as we moved out, he came straight to me and asked, why didn't you come to the airport? Why didn't you reply or answer my calls, what did I do? I looked up at him and said I had been busy.

He smiled and shook his head sideways, his hands automatically raised as if to surrender, this I can say was a very dangerous smile, he pulled me to the side and said I don't know what this game is? Do you know what I went through all this time when you were not answering my calls, it was like not breathing at all.

This was so painful and I had sleepless nights. I looked at him and thought really, with a question mark, sleepless nights, I thought you had enjoyable nights. He pulled me towards him and said what did you just say, I said never mind. That made him more furious.

He continued to say, that he wanted to come immediately, but he had planned visitations with the clients, he was stuck there.

Charlotte came and asked Jonathan why he was getting angry on me, he ignored and moved from there, muttering Nancy Peters, I will talk to you later.

I did not see him eye to eye after that session, he was busy with the choir and his parents. During lunch we all gathered, and Harry said he will dish out food for us. As Harry was passing me the plate with food, Jonathan also brought in a plate with food for me, I looked at him and said Harry has already dished out my food.

He insisted, and stubbornly stood in front of me saying I have brought food for both of us, I am hungry I want to have lunch with you. I politely asked him to sit down since people started noticing Jonathan's behavior.

He sat down and pushed away the plate which Harry brought and put his plate at the spot. I felt it was wrong and pulled back Harry's plate though I did not push away Jonathan's plate.

As soon as he saw I pulled Harry's plate, he abruptly got up and left. Everyone was startled, looking at me as what had happened. I was nearly in tears. Fighting back my tears, looked down and completely lost my appetite thereafter I just mingled on the food and then was ready to go home.