Chapter 15

The bus moved out of the bus bay, I placed dad's head on the pillow, securing his sides then sat beside him. There were few passengers on board, I was lucky to have a full seat. Dad was comfortable.

Bus was on the highway with loud music. I kept praying that this should not affect dad's health.

Unexpectedly the bus stopped with the screeching noise, everyone was looking at the driver and shouted out with anger. The driver was talking to someone standing outside his window, he then turned and opened the door.

I saw Jonathan emerge from the door and heard him called out "Nancy," I looked at him, his face was red and looked angry.

He asked me "what you think you are doing; dad is so sick and you are taking him like this in a bus." "What is with you, I just can't understand."

I lashed back at him and said "where were you, you said 15 minutes and you never showed up." "Nancy," he said in a dangerous tone, "not here, come with me, let me help dad," I said no for him to get out of the bus, he said "no, bus will not move until you both come with me."

The passengers were staring at us. He said, Nancy, please don't test me, he shoved me aside and picked up dad with care, he moved him out of the bus. I just sat there staring, he came back again, pulled me out of the seat, steered me out of the bus and got me seated in the car.

He looked at me and said "Nancy you are crossing all limits and are you trying to expose the worst of me...really" He switched on the car engine, pulled my hand towards himself, pushed the engagement ring back on my finger, I said "you are hurting me," he said "yeah fine, the ring belongs on your finger and you are mine only."

Dad was sleeping, he was drowsy after the pills he took. I hissed back at Jonathan and said, "I don't want to marry you anymore, the situation has changed, I want to be with dad," he said "Nancy, did I ever tell you that I will leave dad, no, he will stay with us and we can care of him." I looked at him, said "you did not turn up today, I was waiting and panicking, I did not have anyone with me, you told me you will be back in 15 minutes," he said "I am very sorry Nancy, this will never happen again."

I continued, "Jonathan, I don't want you to be unhappy, torn between me, your family and business, your parents should not feel that you are lacking focus on them or your business.

He looked at me and said, "Nancy, you are driving me nuts, I will go crazy by listening to what you are saying, he continued with a stern and loud voice "I am repeating myself loud and clear, you are not going to push me away, I will manage both work and home and if you wish we will stay at your home and take care of dad."

I asked him "what about your dad, what would he think about this" Jonathan replied, leave that to me, I will handle it" and he continued to say, "I want you to stop panicking and stop pushing me away." I replied, "I will think about the marriage, I need time" he just sighed and looked straight ahead and shook his head, I thought I heard him mumble stubborn woman.

Days were not easy, I cleaned and took care of dad, Jonathan traveled two days in a week to his office to take care of his business errands. Dad's bakery was closed for time being.

Harrison, Uncle Sam with families visited us few times and assured dad that his condition is stable and he should be better soon. We took Dad for clinics, his test results indicated that he is in stable and controlled condition.

Dad insisted, to continue with my studies. I told dad "this will not happen, there is bakery to look after and on top of it is your health, Dad." He looked worried and tried convincing me couple of times.