Chapter 7

The exams were around the corner, timetable was pinned on the notice board. I could see stress and seriousness on some student's face, they were desperately looking for students to create study groups.

I had my team Harry and Julie, even though we were not doing the same degree but at least they were we the study team, every afternoon, we started sitting at the back of the maid's cottage and studied.

There was no sight of Janice and Charlotte after the Jonathan incident. I still recall Janice had been hard and rude to me for Jonathan's situation and she even commented that I was the reason for his ill health and how dare I rejected his plate; she further elaborated that Jonathan does not have the habit of listening to a "no".

She even told me that she doesn't know why her brother behaved so childishly for a girl who doesn't exist for them in their life. This was harsh on me but because I believed that yes, I rejected his plate, I wanted to make it up to him.

The location we chose to do group study did not have good internet reception, we faced issues with research materials, the internet was so slow that it took 30 mins to 1 hour to research on the net, however, we tried to make the most of it.

One of the students in Law, became our friend, he was part of our study group. He was definitely handsome and very attractive with a dimple on his cheek. We became friends and he fitted well in the team.

He and I had lots of things in common, and our discussions continued for hours and hours. Our new friend stayed in the same neighborhood; his name is Edward. We all hanged out together.

He waited for us in the morning and hangs around with us in the afternoon until we leave. We introduced him to Charlotte and Janice as well.

After a week, on Monday, Jonathan drove us to the college, he seemed calm and collective. He gave a brief glance towards me when I was getting into the van then he was busy indulged with Lorraine in a conversation. During the journey, I stole looks on him, he was immensely busy with Lorraine, it was hurting to see them so casual with each other, smiling and laughing at each other and with me, there is always a tensed situation. At times, I think of the story of the wolf and the red riding hood which mum used to read to me.

As he pulled the van alongside the pavement at the university, he again gave a look and announced that he will be there at 4pm to pick us.

Harry replied to him, not to wait for three of us since we will be in the library studying late, eyes still focused on me and he asked till what time will you be in the library? Harry again responded, by 9.00pm.

Jonathan still, without moving his eyes from me answered that he will pick us up at 9.00pm. I replied to him, no need, we will catch a cab and that he has work tomorrow too.

He smiled and this time, I could see his white teeth and deep dimples on his cheek, I thought to myself, God, he is damn handsome, felt like melting in his arms.

Jonathan insisted and continued to say, no I will pick you up at sharp 9.00pm and drove away. I could feel Lorraine's eyes on me and was rolling back and forth between Jonathan and me.

Everyone dispersed for their classes, I was thinking, that smile did not go down well with me, was he annoyed by my answer and why is he so adamant that he wants to pick us up.

The only reason I replied to him regarding catching a cab was because of the time factor, 9.00pm was too late for him to be staying awake waiting to pick us. Anyways, if that is what he wants so be it.

Each class was so tough, the teachers were explaining about the exam components and the results expected.

I was listening to all the expectations and for me meeting these expectations was a priority due to reason being I was on scholarship. Then again, at the end of the semester, our results will be sent to Harrison's, I don't want Dad and Uncle Sam to feel that I have slackened with my studies.