Chapter 9

I was introduced to the office staff as an intern, learning office work in the university term break. The team happily accepted me.

The receptionist apologized for the mishap occurred earlier; I told her it is okay, water is under the breach. Jonathan's secretary was not too happy to see me and gave me an unfriendly look.

Jonathan must have scolded her because of me for that long wait. During the tea break, I was standing at the coffee machine, making coffee for myself, Jonathan walked up to me and stood close by, I could literally lean on him, my legs felt his closeness and it was, as if, it would buckle.

Jonathan

Whole of this morning, I was following up with how Nancy was coping up at work. The working atmosphere would be new to her.

She was standing at the coffee machine, now; I have a chance to walk up to her. Her dressing amused me, she was in a knee-length skirt with a shirt nicely tucked in, revealing her sexy figure.

I know, I have some effect on her, I could feel her quick breaths whenever I am close to her, her body gets tensed and she blushes. I pretended not to notice it but yes, she is affected by me.

Nancy

He opened the cupboard door right on top of me and pulled out a cup, his hands brushed my shoulder and there I was standing frozen, feeling strongly, wanting to be held in his arms. His warm breath touched my neck as he whispered, I would like a cup of coffee made by you.

All I could do is nod. I wondered, did he also feel what I felt, is he deliberately doing all this to seek my attention.

I could not hold on any longer and blurted out, "excuse me, I will bring it to your table". He pushed his hair back and said "okay". When I went to his office, he was sitting there with his secretary having a discussion.

As I approached with the cup of coffee, the secretary, turned and said he has just drank a cup of coffee before I could respond, Jonathan walked across to me and took the cup from my hand and told his secretary that he told me to make another one and he sipped from the cup, smiled and winked at me.

During the day, Lorraine had visited him, they were discussing something in the office. I was returning from the filing room when I passed the office, I saw Jonathan and Lorraine kissing each other.

I moved away quickly unnoticed. I sat at my table and cursed myself. How did I forget that Lorraine is still his life? The visual of their kiss was haunting me, my chest was heavy, I was so embarrassed by myself.

I started ignoring Jonathan as much as I could every day except for morning and afternoon. I made new friends, this one guy specifically was very helpful, we started having coffee together and at times lunch in the breaks.

This was noticed by a few people, the office staff started teasing us. We laughed it off because this was the office norm, to tease each other with either relationships or nicknames.

I had no interest in the boy, but was just enjoying his company to be away from Jonathan.

One afternoon. Jonathan stormed into my workstation, standing with the hands on his hips, he said, "can I have a word with you."

I was a bit taken back, his face was red and he looked angry, I could see the flare in his eyes, I asked him "what had happened?", he said "not here", and grabbed my hand, pulled me towards his office.

Luckily there were not much people in the office but some did notice. In his office, he pushed a seat and said, "sit down", I turned and asked "what's wrong?", he pulled another chair and sat right in front of me and said, "you have crossed some limits."