Chapter 14

I heard dad groan, we quickly rushed to dad's side. Dad slowly opened his eyes, there was a sparkle in his eyes as he saw me and smiled.

He shook his head indicating to me not to cry, he whispered, I could barely hear his voice, in a feeble tone, I heard him say "Angel, my dear please don't cry, I am okay and will be okay."

He grasped my hand and held Jonathan's hand, looking up at him, he said "son, my daughter is very precious to me, please look after her, don't hurt her, she is stubborn at times but she is a good girl," he continued to say, "she loves you very much but at times, things will be rough," he nodded to Jonathan and said "you are the matured one, think through, please don't ever make decisions when you are emotional."

"After me, there will be no one for her, she has only you." I saw Jonathan's eyes filled with tears, he held dad's hand tightly and promised him that he will always be there for me and that he loves me a lot.

Jonathan looked at me, he slid his hands, under my arms, circling my waist from the back, pulled me closer to him, he hugged me and kissed on my head and said we will be fine, dad will be fine too.

This was the fourth day in the hospital. I was not eating properly therefore, had lost a lot of weight which was significant on my face.

Jonathan was also with me for the last four days. Harrison kept calling him, I heard him saying all is well, have office matters under control and he is checking documents from here.

I told him once, "you need to go to the office, your mum and dad must be worried about you." He said, "I am fine," he said "look at yourself, Nancy, you are not fine. Plus, I want to be here for Dad and he is my responsibility as well."

I had no energy to fight back with him so left it. Harrison and Uncle Sam with their families visited every day and talked to the doctors. Doctors confirmed the disease as Leukemia and now dad will be put on medical treatment plan.

Hospital bills were huge but Jonathan took care of it saying it is his responsibility. On Friday, the doctors gave 1-month course – medications to complete with the clinic date for next medical checkup.

Dad was discharged from the hospital on the condition that if he feels any drowsiness, he must be brought back to the hospital.

The same morning, there was a meeting called at Harrison office. While I was getting stuff ready and waiting for the Doctors to make the final ward rounds, Jonathan went and cleared the bills and we were ready to leave.

At the same instance, he received a call from his Dad and was asked to come to the office. Jonathan explained that dad will be discharged soon and he cannot leave for office now.

His dad insisted for him to come, assured that after the meeting he can pick us up, he even said organize with James.

Jonathan kept on saying that you can handle the clients, but his dad insisted. I was listening to their conversation, Jonathan turned and looked at me and said he will be back in 15 minutes and asked me to wait in the room for him with dad.

I nodded, he briefly kissed me and said he will be back. I was waiting for Jonathan to return, couple of times nurses appeared and peeped in, they said they were getting this room ready for the next patient. I started to feel awkward about the whole situation.

I told them that Jonathan will be here in 15 minutes. There was no sign of him. It was now 45 minutes, Jonathan did not come in, I called on his mobile and it was diverted.

I felt so helpless with dad so sick, we also had bags, I did not know what to do. I was feeling lonely and felt that Jonathan did not care, he knew the situation and yet he went.

The nurses came back and politely told us to move to the hospital foyer and wait, which I did. Held dad on one side and put the bags on the trolley.

As I approached the foyer, James drove in. Even then there was no sign of Jonathan. I was in tears. He came in and said Mr. Harrison has sent the transport to pick us and Jonathan will join us at home.

I asked James, "where is Jonathan," he said he was gone home after the meeting. This really pissed me off, a question rang through my mind, does he really care?

I quietly told James, I am taking dad back to my town, he needs to rest. I have to go with dad and be with him.

I took off my engagement ring and gave it to James, told him, "give this to Jonathan and tell him I am sorry, this can't happen anymore. "

He stood there frozen for a while gasping for words, he said Mrs. Harrison, I can't do this. He tried calling Jonathan, his phone was diverted, he tried number of times, and it was not going through.

I told him; we will find our way in the cab, told him not to worry. He said "please, come with me" I said "no I want to go back to the town house." I settled dad in the cab, pushed the belongings at the back and we drove off to the bus stand.

I had money only for the bus fare. Dad and I got in the bus, he asked me "Angel, do you think, you are doing the right thing?", I said "yes dad, you will be better at home, nice and quiet and relaxing."

He said "okay, but you know Angel, Jonathan will come after us. "I replied, "so what, but I have made up my mind, not to get married now, I want to be with you." He said he is fine and not to take stress. We sat in the bus, the bus was scheduled to hit the road in half an hours' time.

James reached home, Jonathan rushed out to receive us, he did not see us and James gave him my ring and told him what had happened.

His jaw tightened with fury and asked "where are they," James told him that the bus will be leaving in half and hours' time.

"Right now, I was so pissed with Nancy, with this behavior, how can she risk her father's health. He is already so weak; how can he travel by bus."

"What is this? why has she returned the ring. Its all my fault, I should have been there with her. NO, NO, Dammit, I will not let you run away from me."

His dad came out of the house, Jonathan called out to his dad, "Dad, is this what you wanted?" "for them to be out of my life," his dad stared back at him in a shock and said "no, I... Jonathan did not let his father complete his sentence, he said then why?

Did you not understand that I had to be there with Nancy and her dad? He looked unhappily at his dad, pulled the keys from James hand and rushed off.